How and what can you use behind a freezer?

This past summer we purchased a portable air conditioner and placed it in our bedroom. Unfortunately we overloaded the circuit so that every time the freezer would come on when we had the ac on, the circuit breaker would trip. We had to put a long extension cord to run the freezer on a different outlet, but that only caused a problem since we (and our pets) kept tripping over it. I also know I could change the circuit breaker but was also wondering if this freezer could be moved to be against the center island (which has it's own circuit breaker). If I do move the freezer, what can I put behind it so that the ugly back coils do not show.

• Rebecca Taylor Rebecca Taylor on Jan 13, 2019

Hi Susan, Is the back flat or do the coils stick out past the back?

• William William on Jan 13, 2019

Glad you didn't change the circuit breaker. Specific wire gauge is used for different circuit breaker amperage. With a higher amperage breaker the wires could have overheated and created a fire hazard. The black coils are the cooling coils for dissipating the heat from the freezer. They cannot or should not be blocked or covered. Sorry.

• Rebecca Taylor Rebecca Taylor on Jan 14, 2019

Hi Susan, You could make a cover using lattice which would camouflage the back but still let it breathe.

• Susan Susan on Jan 14, 2019

Thank you for this idea as it sounds great and I do greatly appreciate it.