How do I install an electric outlet inside the back of a drawer?

+2

What special precautions do we need to install an electrical outlet inside the back of a drawer?

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Dec 29, 2018

I would get a qualified electrician to install this for you. Electricity is nothing to play around with.

• William William on Dec 29, 2018

I don't know for what purpose. You need to install an electrical box inside the drawer for the outlet and wiring. The dangerous part to consider is the electrical cable going from the electrical source to the drawer flexing and moving anytime the drawer is used. Wires can break, kink, separate from the outlet. You would need to use BX cable. Flexible armored cable. It also may not be code so be careful.

• Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Dec 29, 2018

We almost always use MC cable. This is protected and flexible. It goes into a metal box and that will protect the drawer from the electrical. Then the outlet sits in the box with an outlet plate. This is the same as any outlet of your house. The reason it is installed this way is that it fully contains all the electrical connections. Generally, use yellow winged wire nuts. The box will likely protrude from the back of the drawer.

• William William on Dec 29, 2018

Go with the MC cable rather than the BX (AC) cable. Has a better ground and offers better short circuit protection.