Is it difficult to change my light fixture?

Van10671628
by Van10671628
It is a 2 bulb fixture. The light I would like to replace it with takes 3 bulbs. Does that matter? The pic of my current light is attached. It has a pull chain, as does the new fixture.
  • Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Mar 14, 2018

Do you have someone you know that works with electricity that could advise you?

• AuntQueenie AuntQueenie on Mar 14, 2018

not if you are only replacing the glass cover with one that will fit in the existing base. Otherwise if you are replacing the entire light including base and electrical wires, you should know basic safety rules of working with electricity FIRST because you will have to remove and rewire a totally new fixture.

• Diane Poulin Diane Poulin on Mar 14, 2018

It is easy to do, but be sure you follow the basic safety precautions! It will not matter that there will be three bulbs rather than two because the wiring is the same. You will be removing the old wiring attached to the old fixture, and rewire with the new. I have replaced many of the light fixtures in my old Victorian myself.

• Gale Allen Jenness Gale Allen Jenness on Mar 14, 2018

In most cases it’s not a difficult process, usually you’ll have three wires to deal with at most. A black wire, a white wire, and usually a bare copper wire that is your ground or it’s always possible to have a green wire as ground too, especially inside your fixture itself which will be attached to metal on the fixture to help prevent in serious shocks! Only exception I have ever ran into with complex wiring issues is in older mobile homes where the wiring system of the home is ran up thru all the light fixtures in the ceiling and taking down a fixture you may find up to 15-20 wires in some cases. Which came to quite a shock to me how these mobile homes are sometimes wired! Hopefully you have a normal home regardless of it’s age? Although in older homes if it has the same existing wiring it had when built the wiring can look different then today’s wiring and harder to know which wire goes where and a house electrical tester may be necessary to check for your correct wiring? Although if the fixture have been changed somewhere along the line pay attention where the fixtures black and white wires are connected at and don’t get them mixed up! Note, if you do mixed up the two wires the light will still work but if you happen to put your hand into a light socket area even with the light off you would still get shocked by having the wrong wires connected in the wrong place! So it’s very important to get your wiring right! If you’re fixture is connected to a a light switch, you can work on the wiring with the light switch in the off position as long as your sure no one will turn it on while your working on the wiring? Generally 110 volt won’t bother me getting a little zap. Mainly just scares me for a second. But that’s only cause I’m not well grounded. If I was standing in a little water or touching another ground at the same point as touching a hot wire, that little zap will be a entirely different stronger shock that can be extremely serious! Always safest bet to turn off the power from your breaker box as well as your wall switch. Especially if your a novice working with electrical wiring. But many times I’ll replace plug ins without turning the power off and I been doing it enough years that I never get shocked. Although it’s always a risk working with live power I wouldn’t recommend most people to try! Being it can be a life threatening experience if you happen to make the slightest mistake while wiring anything! Even with the power off, treat wiring as it’s still alive and never let the wiring touch together. Keep wires separated from one another as much as possible at all times when bare wires are showing. Just in case someone did wire something wrong and you still may have a hot wire that shouldn’t be hot with your power breaker off. Although it’s rare, I have seen it happen! It’s also not a bad idea to check your wiring with a electrical tester to make sure you have no hot wires before messing with the wiring too much! Safety first is always the best policy! You got to be pretty confident and a little foolish to work on live wires, but I come from the old school and working with live wires many old timers use to do as a common practice andbeing my Dad was a part of that old school teaching that’s just how I was taught/raised! In the old days safety wasn’t practiced much like it is today! Pretty much like kids having to wear helmets to ride a bike. When I was a kid I never even heard the word HELMET! LOL Still, you should stress safety working with electrical wiring! Be careful! As long as it’s straight forward wiring with wire nuts and maybe some black tape. It’s a fairly easy job to do Long as you’re power is off! Once your three wiring and go turn your breaker back on. If your breaker snaps off quickly something got wired wrong or you have a direct short and you’ll have to recheck all your wiring. In most cases you shouldn’t have a problem as long as your bare wires have the wire nuts on properly. You need to pinch your bare wires together and have the ends fairly even with each other when screwing your electrical nut back on and there shouldn’t be any bare wires showing outside the nut. If there is, this is where you may find electrical tape around wires to protect them from touching each other and shorting out! As I said it is a fairly easy process, but if you have never done any wiring before? It’s not a bad idea to have someone to check your wiring before installing the fixture on to the ceiling or wall! Just in case you don’t get your wire nuts connected to the wires right or not tight enough! Once you’ve gotten a little wiring projects under your belt and confident in your skills! Then wiring a fixture really won’t be a big dea. But you do need to know what your doing and wiring not a area you want to make mistakes with! It’s easy for me to say it’s simple, being I’ve been doing it for over 25 years! But I think back when I was first learning and if I hadn’t had someone watching over me and making sure I did it right. I very well could of had some problems wiring things the first few times! So saying it’s easy also depends on your skill set? If you have never messed with wiring before you may be better off to hire a electrician. I know their not cheap to hire but better safe then sorry and I really don’t want to give you the impression this can be done just by anyone like a 6 year old kid! There is some skill involved with wiring, not much really. But if you’re not skilled you could have problems too! Since I don’t know you personally or know your capabilities. I don’t want to give you a false impression this is exactly a piece of cake either! There are people that should never tackle wiring! So use your own judgment on what your capabilities really are and if it’s worth risking doing this yourself?

• Ro Ro on Mar 17, 2018

Take a picture of the old lamp wiring before disconnecting

it’s an easy DIY