Bathroom Vanity repair

+4
We have a rental that the tenant left in a mess but the main thing this time is the bathroom vanity. It looks like they had a dog who used the corner for a tree, if you know what I mean. It is a manufactured home so the building material used is not wood but some sort of covered pressed board and it is swelling a little and the covering is peeling. Any ideas of a way this could be fixed or should I just go ahead and replace it. Thanks, Lisa

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 31, 2017
    Most likely the urine has seeped all the way. I would replace that.

• Lisa D Bullock-Morris Lisa D Bullock-Morris on Jan 01, 2018
      Thank you Janet. I thought that is what I would hear but was hoping that someone may have a trick that we didn't know about. I appreciate your help and have a great and prosperous New Year.

• Jeanette S Jeanette S on Dec 31, 2017
    Replacing it is the best thing. That "mess" has soaked into the wood and will always smell...and it is NASTY!

• Liz Sanders Duren Liz Sanders Duren on Dec 31, 2017
    You could try priming and painting, may need to sand the swelled area though. Or prime to block the odor then cover with a thin product of some sort, like faux beadboard or similar. Your best option may be to replace. Don't fall for the trap of " This is what the trend is now" if you replace, get something in your budget. Hope they don't get their security back! If they need proof that is it dog urine, use a blacklight.

• William William on Dec 31, 2017
    Replace it. Particle board covered with vinyl paper. The particle board has swelled and will deteriorate. It's just sawdust and resins pressed into boards.

Thank you all. It is officially out! I had the grandchildren for New Year's and the bigger boys helped us. Now we get to take them shopping at Menards with us to get a replacement today! Happy New Year to all.