Bleed thru on stained pine, pressure treated and untreated

+4
How do you fix that. It has happened twice. Once with treated pube and once with untreated. Only on the 4×4 legs.?????
q bleed thru on stained pine pressure treated and untreated
  • Gary Glover Gary Glover on Dec 09, 2017
    You need to prime paint it with Kiltz , it’s a primer and a stain blocker , works well

• Bonnie Bonnie on Dec 09, 2017
    What you have is "pitch bleed-through" and unfortunately there's not much you can do to stop it from bleeding through stain. Your best bet is to sand it off as much as possible, and like Gary said, prime it with Kilz and paint over it. Or, accept it and call it rustic character!

• Becky Becky on Dec 09, 2017
    yep, sand, prime (maybe two coats), and paint. If you want the natural wood with stain rather than paint, I think the wood needs to be aged so it's finished "leaking" and all dried out. Maybe someone else knows how long that takes :-)

• Shoshana Shoshana on Dec 10, 2017
    I agree with the above. I would sand prime and paint again.

• Shelley Taylor Shelley Taylor on Dec 10, 2017
    Shellac is how I stop bleeding when I paint furniture.

• Roland Ronish Roland Ronish on Dec 10, 2017
    Two or three coats of clear shellac seals the pores. First to do is use alcohol to remove all the sap you can.