Does anyone have any idea on how to fill the cracks in my table?

+4
This is a DIY coffe table made of 250yr old elm. I love it but over time it has cracked. I want to fill the cracks while keeping its cracks authentic. Meaning I don’t want to fill it with wood filler. It also shows all its blemishes Which I’m not fond of. Would really love some ideas, tips tricks, anything. Thanks in advance
q does anyone have any idea on how to fill the cracks in my table
  • Sarah Barganier Sarah Barganier on Jun 17, 2018
    My daughter-in-law has a table like that, but it is sealed with a clear finish that filled in all of the cracks.

• Brenda Brandt Deason Brenda Brandt Deason on Jun 17, 2018
    If you can get a piece of glass cut to fit, you would have a smooth surface and still be able to see your beautiful elm table.

• Carol Cole Carol Cole on Jun 17, 2018
    Saw dust mixed with glue dropped down in the crack.

• Sonya Garbin Dorico Sonya Garbin Dorico on Jun 18, 2018
      Hi Carol, when it was originally made they filled it with saw dust and wood filler but now that it’s been able to dry fully, I guess, I continued to crack. I like the. I more nails idea. You could be on to something. Thx

• Carol Cole Carol Cole on Jun 17, 2018
    There is a caulk out there called liquid nails. Cut the tip just a little bit and caulk it in there and far as you can. As for the coloring I have no Idea unless you use the stain over the liquid nails after it drys complely.

• Eileen B. Eileen B. on Jun 17, 2018
    Sand it lightly and seal it with several coats of polyurethane

• Thomas Marts Thomas Marts on Jul 03, 2018
    I repaired an old table top using clear epoxy purchased at Lowes. I used a household vacuum to draw the epoxy completely through to the bottom of the crack. I had to keep putting additional epoxy until it was filled.

In the past, I have also used saw dust mixed with Elmer's glue when fixing a crack in an unfinished surface.