How can I stop my vintage sofa from getting more threadbare?

I have a great old settee but the upholstery fabric on the padded seat is becoming threadbare and I don't want to have to re-upholster the entire thing -does anyone know any products or tricks to preserve it's present condition and stop it from getting worse? The fabric is a cut cotton "velvet?" not sure the proper name -it is sturdy and bristle-y not soft.

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Jan 19, 2019

There's really nothing to do to stop deterioration. It's old, it's expected. The only thing is to not sit on it and keep away from the sun.

• Oliva Oliva on Jan 19, 2019

You may have antique horsehair type fabric, which is no longer available. These items were used for "company", and rarely for daily usage.

You may wish to cover this cushion with a complementary upholstery grade fabric available from fabric stores. If the cover is removeable, add batting, if needed, to the interior, and place a softer cotton or muslin between the original and new fabric, to reduce friction.

• See 1 previous
    • Oliva Oliva on Jan 20, 2019

Wow, that price basically excludes most of the mainstream populace!

Treasure the pieces you currently own. My grandparents had a stunning navy settee with horsehair fabric. Too bad no one saved it...