How do I get a nail to not show through desk top

+12

I am refinishing an old desk. One nail is popped out just a bit. I don’t want to pull it out. I am not that experienced. I don’t want to cause any damage. It won’t go back it. What do I do. New at this

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Sep 20, 2021

Can you hammer it down

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Sep 20, 2021

You can drive it in by either hammering with a punch or use another nail if you don't have one. That's about the only option you have.

You mentioned it won't go back, wondering what you have tried.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Sep 20, 2021

Wondering why it won't go back in, what have you tried to put it back in to make it level.

I would hammer it in with another nail, put the point of the nail on the head of the raised nail and hammer.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Sep 20, 2021

Hello. I would suggest using a nail tap and sinking the nail further using this device it will be embedded below the surface level. You could use some wood putty to fill the defect and touch that up with a marker

• Mogie Mogie on Sep 20, 2021

Use screws they don't back out.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Sep 20, 2021

place a small towel or other cloth over it and gently nail it back in before you refinish that area

• Dee Dee on Sep 20, 2021

Definitely use a punch tool. Put an old washcloth on top of the nail and punch it in. The washcloth will stop the bruising on the desk. I would put a dab of clear wood glue over the nail so that it does not pop again.

• Betsy Betsy on Sep 20, 2021

Hi Jane: Try this: Get a block of wood about 4 x 4 inches wide and maybe a 1/2 inch thick. Drill a hole in the middle of it about the diameter of the nail. Put the hole over the nail, get another nail that's longer and stronger and put the pointy end of that nail into the hole and onto the head of the sticking up nail. Then, pound the top nail onto the sticky up nail until the sticky up nail goes back into the wood of the desk. The square of wood will keep you from missing and denting your desk, and you don't want to do that :O Then use some wood putty to cover the area. You can stain the wood putty to match your desk.

Good luck

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Sep 20, 2021

Apply wood filler

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Sep 21, 2021

Hi! You have a couple of options. You can drive it back in using a nail set or you can pull it out and replace it with something that will stay below the surface and not pop out, like a small wood screw. Either way, you are going to have to fill in the hole or indentation that's left. I prefer 2 part epoxy for filling in, like the product I am giving you a link for. Most hardware stores have it, so you don't have to buy it online.

J-B Weld 8257 KwikWood Wood Repair Epoxy Putty Stick- 3.5 inch, Tan https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002NJDAJY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_ARSQBWXE6CGD1WR0XPHP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Sep 21, 2021

Hi, Use a punch to knock nail in further and then back fill with wood filler.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Sep 22, 2021

Try to sink the nail with another nail so it goes below the surface then you could fill in the spot with wood fill that matches wood use something the size of the nail head.

• Homeroad Homeroad on Sep 23, 2021

I would try to hammer it down with a countersink tool or a metal plate of some kind so your hammer won't damage the wood.

• You can place some fabric on the table and nail to protect the finish and gently hammer the nail in, if possible.