How do I make my old tub look brand new?

+4
The inside of the tub especially around the drain is peeling.

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Dec 23, 2017
    Sounds like it has been reglazed, it will have to be scrubbed down and reglazed again - buy the kit at HD

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 23, 2017
    You can buy epoxy tub touchup kits to do around your drain at most hardware stores.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpIPv3xH6WI

• Here is an article to help you decide what your next move might be.

I have had a number of porcelain tubs professionally reglazed. With proper can last 25 - 50 years. I had the one at my mom's house (original to the house in 1926) redone in 2007, still looks brand new today. To replace the tub with a good quality one (not a big box special) would have been at least $1,000 if not a lot more. I found one I really liked, but it was $3,500 (at that time) plus construction costs. If I remember correctly, I paid around $300 - $400.

• Cindy Cindy on Dec 23, 2017
    Hi Hilary, Reglazing your tub should take care of the paint problem but I am not sure how to prepare the tub nor how to maintain it afterwards. I strongly recommend that you speak to a professional about this process. If you decide to hire a pro to do it for you, I can say that we have used Home Adviser a couple times to hire a pro. They do background checks and provide customer reviews. Good luck with this project and Happy Holidays.

• Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Dec 24, 2017
    You can have it reglazed.

• Alex Alex on Dec 24, 2017
    Reglazing is extremely expensive and the tub has to be removed. There are paint kits you can use for what most people call Reglazing. Go on utube you will see mixed reviews on how easy or hard they are to use and how effective they are. It is a lot of work and it is advisable to use a respirator when working with these products.