How do I repair a cheval stand??

+7

q how do i repair a cheval stand

I have a cheval mirror that was toppled. It has three feet. The feet slide into the base. The wood over the foot was split into two pieces and the foot is no longer secure. Cancthis be repaired? If not, where can I purchase a replacement stand, unfinished or finished? Thanks.

• William William on Sep 19, 2021

It's a pretty clean break. Wood glue wouldn't be strong enough. You can use two part epoxy to glue the two pieces back. For extra strength, once the glue is dry I would drill 1/8 inch holes in the two pieces and drive thin nails in the holes.

• I agree with William, but I think I would use screws instead of nails.

• William William on Sep 19, 2021

Not enough material for screws. Even predrilling would split the pieces. Otherwise i would have suggested screws.

• Mogie Mogie on Sep 19, 2021

Williams has a great fix but agree with Ann use screws instead of nails.

• William William on Sep 19, 2021

• Betsy Betsy on Sep 19, 2021

Hi Carolyn: If you have the pieces, I'd try using 2 part epoxy or contact glue to put them back on. Like William said, once the wood is dry, use a thin drill bit and drive nails into the area, maybe one at the top. Also, I'd dip the nails into some of the glue.

Good luck

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Sep 21, 2021

Take a look at this repair:

https://youtu.be/Yt_Kx6YQqbs

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Sep 21, 2021

Stick the bits back in place with a wood glue and maybe also add a pin or two to secure, before putting leg back on.

• Sharon Sharon on Sep 22, 2021

Once all the pieces are glued back you could also add a decorative piece of hammered copper or brass to strengthen it too.

• Homeroad Homeroad on Sep 23, 2021

That looks like it's going to need wood glue and screws. Then wood filler and you may need to paint the table too.