How to cover or hide a repaired leg on a table?

I purchased an old-fashioned coffee table with a leg that had been repaired using glue, you can see a bit of the glue. I was hoping to try and fix it so it would not show, was thinking of sanding. Once I am done I want to paint it with chalk paint. Any help advice would be great!

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jun 26, 2018
    Hi Gaetane, I agree with your idea, sanding the excess glue will make the repair less obvious. If there is any cracked area crevices or missing wood, a wood putty application might be suggested before painting.

• Suelane Suelane on Jun 26, 2018
    Hello Gaetane, Is the leg sturdy? Did the glue just seem to have oozed out? If it is a bad glue job you might want to carefully pull the leg apart and clean the mess then reglue and clamp. If you have glue coming out when you do that be sure to wipe it off well so that it doesn't act as a resist to any paint.

I like to chalk paint, they say that it's no prep but really I think prep is still important (as it is with any job). Don't wet the table though! A damp cloth with vinegar seems to work for me (other people can chime in on their processes!) I also like to use what is sometimes called 'liquid sandpaper' or deglosser. It takes off the sheen and makes the wood more receptive to a new coat of paint.

Start painting - I would flip the table upside down to to the legs first but that is just me. Chalk paint (depending on the brand) can go a long way. Don't slop it on, take your time. And be sure to take before and after pictures!

Have fun!

• See 3 previous
    • Suelane Suelane on Jun 27, 2018
      Hi Gaetane, Liquid sandpaper or deglosser- I see you are in Canada so check at Home Hardware. Here is the stock # : 1L Safe Sand Spray Sander
      • NATURA
      Item # 1650400
      Model # C17-75
      In our area it is $11.99 (Ontario)

I have used both wax and poly on top of chalk paint. It depends on the item - for tables I have used water-based poly, it doesn't yellow. It goes on milky but dries clear. For items that don't take too much abuse I have used waxes.

I hope this helps!