How to fix sagging drawer bottoms?

Debbie
by Debbie
I have a dresser in which the drawer bottoms are a cardboard material. From clothes sitting in them, the bottoms are now sagging. I need a way to fix the bottoms because the drawers do not open and close good due to the sagging. HELP!!!!

• Tom Tom on Mar 14, 2018

You can replace that card board with a 1/4" plywood.

• Gk Gk on Mar 14, 2018

If you can get the drawers apart you can buy very thin plywood to make bottoms. Usually there i a slot where the cardboard bottoms lay in--the thin plywood would slide n those slots. If you can just get the back of the drawer off and slide the bottoms in and reattach the back it might just work. Hard to tell without seeing the drawers.

• Ken Ken on Mar 14, 2018

I have done a LOT of these. Have one on my bench right now awaiting delivery.

Use a rubber hammer to gently tap them apart. Remove any glue that is sticking up. You will need to recut the grooves to fit the 0.2" thickness of floor underlayment plywood. Radial arm saw does a nice job of this. Glue the sides back together but do not put glue on your new bottom insert except at the back of the drawer. It needs to float in the groove.

• DesertRose DesertRose on Mar 14, 2018

Can you buy extra thin wood and replace the cardboard? It comes in extremely thin pieces at the local home improvement stores. Carefully remove the cardboard and use it for a template to measure the new wood cut outs. Then attach with staples or finishing nails. Good luck with this!

• Becca Becca on Mar 14, 2018

Look to see if the bottoms slide out from chanels cut in sides of drawer. If they can be removed replace them with 1/4 inch plywood if it fits in the grooves. If you can use thicker plywood that would be even better.