How to remove corner glass shelf in metal bracket?

+15

There are no visible screws, don't know if glued on or how held on? Tried to slide out glass but no luck. Any ideas, it's probably 15 yrs old?

q howbto remove corner glass shelf in metal bracket
  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jun 23, 2021

Hello there could be some adhesive or caulk between the glass and bracket. Does a thin safety razor breech the groove? Possibly it could potentially loosen the seal.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jun 23, 2021

Looks like some kind of adhesive on the sides of the shelf. A thin blade of some sort might weaken the bond, like a thin saw blade.

You might consider Goo Gone or Krud Kutter to work on the seal so it could slide out. If there is electricity there, can the power be cut?

• There seems to be some sort of adhesive on the glass near the bracket. Try a razor blade to remove as much as you can, then spray a little WD-40 to loosen it.

• Maura White Maura White on Jun 23, 2021

I'm curious why you want to remove the glass. Do you want to replace the shelf with something else? Do you want to use the glass for something else? There probably is glue holding it in. If the sole purpose is to just get rid of the glass, you do it the destructive way and break the glass out of it. Be sure to do this outside where you can clean up (put a sheet underneath, and where safety goggles!

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jun 23, 2021

There is definitely an adhesive in there. I would try alcohol to see if it will take it off so you can get it out. Inject it where the adhesive is. Then try a thin blade to cut it out. Hopefully you can slide the shelf out then.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jun 23, 2021

There should be screws when you slide glass out of the bracket

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Jun 23, 2021

I agree that there is definitely an adhesive there - probably a caulk that they used to hold it in place. I would start with a utility knife and try to carefully get in along both on top of the shelf and beneath it. A hair dryer or a heat gun might help loosen it up too!

• William William on Jun 23, 2021

It looks like there is a bead of clear caulk holding the glass in. Use a razor blade to cut it out. You can try a blow dryer to warm it up and soften the adhesive enough to slide the shelf out.

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 24, 2021

Hi Jerry: Looks like there is either caulk or hot glue in there. What I would do is to use a razor blade and cut off as much of the stuff as you can, even going under the wood if you can, and then use a hair dryer on the highest heat to soften the caulk/glue and slide the glass out slowly. You will, most likely, have to do both sides at once, so move fast :) Wouldn't hurt to have someone to help you on this, you heating and them pulling :)

Good luck

• Jerry Wagner Jerry Wagner on Jun 24, 2021

Thanks, I have been working on this and there are pieces of clear silicone holding the glass and assume when I get it out, the screws will be accessible. Thanks to all.

• Ted11566894 Ted11566894 on Jun 25, 2021

i had one like this I'm sure they put the caulk in to steady the shelf. which is not necessary.. there are little bitty screws in the bracket. try spraying WD40 to soften the caulk and slide glass out

almost looks like hot melt glue... use hair dryer and see if you can soften

• Jerry Wagner Jerry Wagner on Jun 25, 2021

Thanks for all the helpful hints.

• Dee Dee on Jun 25, 2021

It looks like there is a bead of glue, take a hair dryer and try to melt the glue down. Use a plastic scraper and try to get the glue off after it has softened.

Off, yay. Thanks.

• Annie Annie on Jun 26, 2021

The glass should slide out. When you do remove it, I would definitely change the mounting bracket.