Ideas to replace kitchen counter tops from the 1950's cheaply?

+4
The counter tops are green and is some type of material that was glued on and must have come in long sheets. There is metal strips nailed along the edges of the counters

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 22, 2018
    https://www.hometalk.com/categories/make-over/kitchen/countertops

• Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Jun 22, 2018
    Try a resurface kit, they come in many colors, and textures. They sell them at Home Depot or Lowe's, in the paint department. You can buy new trim, also, and nail it in to the edges of the counter. The trim is cheap, all you have to do is paint them. I'd use a color that has some contrast to the counter, and that matches the walls. Keep in mind, if you paint the walls, a different color, it matches the counter.

• Irene Irene on Jun 22, 2018
    Hi Lois
    My kitchen was green and yellow
    with the same countertops and
    metal strips nailed around the
    Edge. I removed the strips and
    sanded off the shine left. Being
    on a budget I picked out some
    Navy blue tile on sale. With all
    the adhesive grout and tile the
    new wood molding i spent about
    $236.00 for the counter, island
    and backsplash.
    All cabinets where painted white,
    if you would like see more pictures of my kitchen, or have
    questions please let me know.
    Irene

• Rynn Rynn on Jun 22, 2018
    You will think i am crazy, but hear me out. On a tight budget, I needed a counter top for my farmhouse . I found a mingled green countertop at Re-Store real cheap ( $25 instead of over $100 for new). Green did not go with my plan, but i decided to go with it. BUT, i painted the room a grayish blue, and guess what---- the counter top didn't look green anymore. The new paint brought out the other tones and now it looks more grayish color. Painting is cheaper than cabinet tops, so maybe ? Also, i would definitely replace the metal strip with wood ... again painting or staining it a color to compliment the new color scheme. Face-lifting a house last year, i realized the main thing you see when you walk in the kitchen is not the counter tops but the side trim. Best wishes !!

• William William on Jun 22, 2018
    It's an early form of laminate similar to linoleum. The metal strips prevented chipping and damage to the edges. Love what Imc16577904 did. Looks great. If you don't like tile you can remove the metal trim and use Rustoleum counter paint kit.

• DesertRose DesertRose on Jun 22, 2018
    You can get 1/4 inch deep quartz counter tops to go over existing counter that looked like solid quartz counters. Most home improvements have them and maybe other type tops also. They come in all colors and with a new paint and back splash will transform your out dated kitchen for not much money!

• Wanda Wanda on Jun 22, 2018
    Retro is so in right now. I would take it and run with it if I were you! Just google retro kitchens and you will see. You already have the most expensive part of it done.