Help! My Kitchen cabinets are sticky!

+3
About 10 yrs ago we striped, restained and varnished our cabinets . Turned out beautiful , now the doors have a sticky finish about 1 ft x 6" . Have tried cleaning (thinking dirty) no help. Only 4 out of 8 are like this.
What would cause this and what do we do to repair them.
Any advise is greatly appreciated .
  • Patricia Patricia on Jun 08, 2017
    I would guess the varnish wasn't cured or the cabinets weren't cleaned properly beforehand, but if it lasted for 10 years without problems then that probably isn't the reason you're having trouble now. Perhaps it's from the humidity? You'll need to remove the current finish either with a chemical stripper or sand it off. Clean well and then put a new top coat on. Good luck!

• Linda Lingle Sr Linda Lingle Sr on Jun 08, 2017
    After ten years they are bound to be sticky. Kitchen grease and dirt adhere to cabinet surfaces and they should be cleaned no less than once a year. I suggest using ZEP Cabinet cleaner and polish and I'm sure you'll be happy once more.

• Elizabeth Dion Elizabeth Dion on Jun 08, 2017
    Try giving them a good wash with Murphy's Oil Soap.

• Linda Linda on Jun 08, 2017
    Thank you everyone. They were sanded good. Usually clean with mild detergent. Will try your ideas before re-doing them ugh! Hated it the last time.

• Linda Linda on Jun 09, 2017
    Thanks for the the encouragement . Going to try to fix them.