Missing cupboard door to kitchen!

+7
Hello! I am redoing my kitchen as I moved into a house that had two bottom cabinet doors ripped off. The one is salvageable and the other one is MIA. My question is- how would you do your cupboard doors? Do you just get a matching one, do you leave the two open? Do you buy mismatched faces? I was thinking of painting my cupboard faces, but my painter told me they are too thin to sand. I look forward to hearing your ideas :)
q missing cupboard door to kitcheb
The MIA cupboard door...
q missing cupboard door to kitcheb
The rest of the kitchen :)
  • Dysko7710 Dysko7710 on Jul 09, 2018
    I would think if you clean the cabinets well with TSP, just sand them lightly and use a good adhesion primer, you could paint your cabinets. I added some links on painting laminate cabinets (which also really can't be sanded, but can be painted!). As for the missing door, I would paint the inside of this a 'pop' color that compliments your other cabinets and leave it as open shelving. You could even add patterned wall paper to the walls inside it or to the shelves to add a splash of color.

• Sharon Sharon on Jul 09, 2018
    Even if the cupboards are thin, you can use a Liquid Sandpaper on them to prepare them for painting.
    That style door would be easy to replicate, just take the good one in, and check to make sure they are both the same size, and any woodworker could make one.

• Chubby58 Chubby58 on Jul 09, 2018

I would paint the inside of the cabinet a color to go with your decor and put some pretty plates and glasses in there, or special pieces. Take your one missing door and go to the Habitat Restore or a salvage yard and see if you can find one like it. Then I would just paint the two doors a pretty color, you could also take the middle out and glass it in.

• Zard Pocleeb Zard Pocleeb on Jul 09, 2018
    I am doing that very same job for someone. I am making all new doors and drawer fronts. In fact, I do this kind of work often. What I am getting to is this; the doors in the picture (your doors) are just simple ”Shaker” style doors. Any cabinet maker should be able to reproduce these doors with any trouble. The tricky part is trying to match the color. Wood tends to darken over time, so even if you buy the exact same stain and finish it’s unlikely to match the existing color. But since you are painting yo should be fine.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jul 09, 2018

If you like the open look on the bottom, you could always take the doors off the top also. If they are the same size doors on top as the bottom, you could always open the top cupboards and use the top doors on the bottom, too.

• B. Enne B. Enne on Jul 09, 2018

Do you need the ones behind the peninsula? Are they dummy doors or functional? Either way, I would use those and put just flat ones there. I would then gel stain them a darker colour or paint them.

You can use fine-medium steel wool and a deglosser, and give a light scrub. Then use a textured cloth like an old towel, and wipe them well to remove the residue. They will then be ready to gel stain or prime.

• Emily Emily on Jul 10, 2018
    Yes, definitely replace the missing two doors and paint the cupboards.

• Jan Marie Jan Marie on Aug 05, 2018

Look and see if anyone in your area does cabinet refacing. If so they might be able to order you a pair of doors.

Here is a link for shaker door in maple. They offer quite a few different woods.

https://www.cabinetnow.com/cabinet-doors/shaker-cabinet-door?species=pgmapleframewithmdfpanel&width=12&height=12&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyM-AhJXV3AIVBrjACh3-sQNYEAQYAiABEgIRWPD_BwE