Need a piano cover

+10
My piano doesn't have a cover and I need to fashion something that will act as a cover sufficiently firm to keep little toddler hands from playing the keys when I'd rather it be quiet. There's not much to tie something too.
q need a piano cover
q need a piano cover
  • Ann Cherkas Halstead Ann Cherkas Halstead on Dec 29, 2017
    cut a board the length of the keys. Then cut a piece of trim the same length. Attach the trim to one end of tHe board. So you now have an L shape. Cover with fabric and lay it over the keys.

• William William on Dec 29, 2017
    I noticed a knob on the board right behind the keys. I think that board raises and slides forward to cover the keys. Also the music holder has a knob. It's possible that needs to be slightly raised to release the board behind the keys. Otherwise use Ann's idea to make an L shaped cover and use self stick hook and loop (Velcro) on the side wood to hold it in place.

• Molly Morris Molly Morris on Jan 01, 2018
      The knob is the "handle" that actually opens the piano - that whole font piece raises up and back. Quite a unique design.

• Sandra Crosbie Sandra Crosbie on Dec 30, 2017
    William, your answer is like a really good detective sleuth. I would love to find out if you have actually solved the mystery of the piano cover. I bet you are right though. I did'nt cop the knob until you pointed it out.
    If not, then Ann's idea would work.πŸ‘πŸ‘

Sandra, check my reply to William on the purpose of the knob! It's quite a unique design.

• StefanieB StefanieB on Dec 30, 2017
    What brand is this piano? Just curious, because I've never seen one without a fallboard!

• StefanieB StefanieB on Dec 30, 2017
    OK - so I've just gone Googling, and it appears that many "budget" pianos didn't have them. Learned something today!

Mine's a Baldwin and I have to research the year a bit more. It was my childhood piano and when opened, each tuner, starting in 1961, signed their name and date inside on a key starting at the bass end. But I don't know if my parents bought it new or used.

• Itsmemic Itsmemic on Dec 30, 2017
    My Melodigrand piano has no cover for the keys either. In fact I haven't put it in my living room yet because of that. Way too much dust. Have to think about one of these ideas...thanks !

• Sandra Crosbie Sandra Crosbie on Jan 05, 2018
    Sorry Molly. I thought it would be an easy fix. I didn't realise it was part of the piano. I hope you find a helpful suggestion on this site.

• Em Em on Mar 15, 2021

They do make piano scarves. You can use a table cloth that you sew ties to the corners. Tie each corner to a leg up high and behind each leg. Don't let toddlers watch you tie them on. You could even double knot them like you do on a tennis shoe, if you don't use the piano that often so they would have and extremely hard time opening the tie even if they did find the ties. You can lay a piece of packing styrafoam across the keyboard before cover it. I am surprised there is no piano key cover on this. I thought they all did.