Old wardrobe is too wide (or deep) for the space. How to fix this?

+7
  • Erja Atroshi Erja Atroshi on Dec 13, 2017
    Thank you.

• Darlene Lewis Darlene Lewis on Dec 14, 2017
    you said"old wardrobe" .how much of this wardrobe do YOU USE?If i dont wear it in a t least 2 years ,and I look at it and don"t think i will,i thin out my closet and give it to NEW HOPE before i start messing with alteration of closet space.....that is my opinion!

• Jennifer Jennifer on Dec 14, 2017
    I wish I could see a picture of it Erja. Is it 1" too deep or 1' too deep? Are you having trouble opening the doors? Can the doors be removed so it could be cut down? Is it a freestanding wardrobe like an armoire? So many questions for you,  it would help us to help you if we could see a picture of the problem.

• Erja Atroshi Erja Atroshi on Dec 14, 2017
      Hi Jennifer,
      Our house is very small and has funny corners (UK, house over 100 years of age). I love this wardrobe but it blocks quite a lot the way (entering from the porch to open style kitchen- dining area or from dining area to the living room.
      Doors can be opened wit no problem. Ifthis wardrobe was 10-15 cm thinner, it would fit the space better. But then again the hangers inside might not fit the normal way. This particular wardrobe is the only place for coats or shoes and this spot the most natural place to have a storage.
      I was planning to repaint it first but then thought possibly could do something more. If this rescaling sounds too difficult then I will at this point only do the repainting part. Many other things to tackle at this moment.
      Pictures might help to see my problem.
      Thank you in advance
      E.

• Jennifer Jennifer on Dec 14, 2017
    It looks like you have 2 of them. They are very nice, looks like solid wood and built well! I really only see keeping them as is but if you have to cut them down you will need to do it from the back by cutting the back off. It can be done and would take some work, if you are not attached to it sentimentally and have the time, tools and a place to saw off the back, then go for it but if not you might want to just paint it your favorite color. I so hope this helps you out Erja and good luck on all of your projects!

• Naisy.daisy69 Naisy.daisy69 on Dec 14, 2017
    you can remove the back of it and cut it to size then replace it back.