What is the best way to fix the tiles on the edge of my counter?

+4
My counters are laminate and there is an approx. 1/4" piece of like tack wood attached to the sides which have slightly rounded tiles glued to it. Probably half of my times are coming off. I have tried re-gluing and grouting without luck. I didn't have a photo of the areas that are falling apart so I included this one to show what I am working with. Please help!
q what is the best way to fix the tiles on the edge of my counter
  • Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 12, 2017
    If the trim is not tile, then no amount of grouting is going to help it adhere to the laminate. Grouting is for sealing in between tiles that have already been glued on to a compatible backing.
    In my experience, I have seen this type of trim used around doors, windows, and baseboards. I have never seen it used as a trim for laminate countertops. One of the drawbacks to laminate is that it can not be curved around corners and angles the way that a more espensive solid surface countertop can.

• See 1 previous
    • Pin22428465 Pin22428465 on Dec 13, 2017
      Thank you all for your help and ideas. I have been dealing with this issue for a while and it’s just getting worse. Although these are actual tiles - I‎t looks like they are adhered to a piece of wood which was then glued to the laminate. I am now home so I have included a better picture. Do you think I have to remove the entire strip, containing the tiles, off the counter even though some of it is totally fine?

• Kathy Inman Kathy Inman on Dec 12, 2017
    I would try construction adhesive. Can pick it up at Lowes. You should be able to get good adhesion.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 12, 2017
    If that is a laminate edging, go to 6:13 to see how to glue back on,,,,, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MryiiCEVOLE
    here's the type with a dado cut into the counter.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_v9yIBEGuk
    If thats a tile bullnose edging, you use mastic on the edge of the counter and back butter the edge pieces too, then place firmly to the counter edge, wipe any excess that oozes out with a damp sponge, and tape with painter's tape in place to allow to dry 24 hours. Then grout.

• William William on Dec 13, 2017
    Looks like the wood strip was glued to the laminate and then the tiles to the wood strip. The glue on the wood strip and laminate has failed. Try using contact cement. Usually used to glue veneers to wood and laminate to wood. Put contact cement on the laminate top and the wood strip. Wait till both are tacky to the touch. Then reapply the wood strip with the tile back on applying a little pressure. One thing to remembe is when both surface come in contact with each other they cannot be moved or re-positioned. Use painters tape to hold in in place as the glue dries.

Thank you - great info. I think I will try the contact cement this weekend. Thanks again.