How do I keep the height of swivel chairs after removing the wheels?

+3

I have kitchen chairs with rollers on them. They are marking my new cherry floor. If I take the roles off the chairs are too low. What should I do to keep the height ?

• Debi53 Debi53 on Jan 08, 2019

If you want to keep the chairs, I would put a rug under the table large enough to allow the chairs to roll back and still be on the rug. You can make one with carpet squares and these can be taken up and cleaned or replaced if they get too stained. You can also put down a linoleum "rug" that has bound edges which can be mopped. If it were me, I would replace the chairs and put chair pads on the bottom of the new chairs to allow your chairs to slide. Chairs are cheaper to replace than your floor.

• Deanna Nassar Deanna Nassar on Jan 09, 2019

You could cover the rollers with socks you pick up at local thrift shop or dollar store. May need a rubber band to hold them on.

• Kellie Collins Kellie Collins on Jan 09, 2019

a rug sounds like a good idea to me. just might want one that's thin, as chairs on rollers seem to have a hard time rolling on thick carpet. or you could get one of those clear (or black?), plastic floor covers for putting under rolling chairs. you know, like you see in offices sometimes? Deanna Nassar, how do the socks work? can the rollers still roll? sounds interesting!

• Dorene Behrens Dorene Behrens on Jan 09, 2019

Have you thought of buying new rollers for your chairs? Sometimes when rubber gets old it will leave marks, also there are different rollers for different types of floors. Some places sell plastic rollers for these chairs

• Judith Judith on Jan 09, 2019

Ikea has an assortment of legs to put on furniture. They can be added on where the rollers will be taken off. Or you could make your own ends by putting the existing legs into a container of liquid epoxy. Put half the epoxy in the containers....let harden....then put the legs of the chair on top of this and add more epoxy. This way the legs appear to be floating on air.