Gap in the external wall cladding ?

I need expert advise, gap seen in the eternal wall clad . these gaps are not all over and seen in few places. Is this normal or need to be sealed.



  14 answers
  • I would seal them with silicone caulk to prevent moisture getting in.

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Feb 04, 2022

    Clean well and silicone caulk, or you could call in a tradesperson and see what they think. They would have the optimal view of the job and could suggest some options.

  • Seth Seth on Feb 04, 2022

    It's hard to tell from the picture, but your siding might be tongue and groove boards. They will shrink and expand with temperature and humidity changes. You generally would not seal them. Any water that gets in should run down and out. It should not be an issue unless the wall sheathing beneath the boards is not properly protected from moisture intrusion.

  • William William on Feb 04, 2022

    That is vertical corner siding. Also known as a "J" panel. One end hooks into the other. Vinyl siding does expand and contract with weather changes. That is why it's installed slightly loose so it can move. Otherwise it would buckle. I have seen bad vinyl install jobs where the siding, corners have buckled due to being nailed tight. Especially on sun exposed areas. There is no moisture that can get past the "J" connection. If the gap bothers you you can use 100% silicone caulk to seal it. It's flexible enough to move with the panel, but can crack over time if the vinyl movement is extreme.

  • Mogie Mogie on Feb 04, 2022

    Hard to tell from your pic but this looks like vinyl siding.

    Purchase a siding removal tool. These hooks can be found in most home improvement or hardware stores.

    Locate the loose panel.

    Pull the panel toward you using the tool.

    Push the loose section of panel back into place using your hands.

    Check for other loose vinyl siding panels and repair these panels as needed.

  • I personally suggest to make use of a silicone caulk. You can also seek advice from a tradesperson.

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Feb 04, 2022

    This is not uncommon. The best thing to do is to caulk the areas and then paint over the caulk. Make sure to use exterior, paintable caulk.

  • Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Feb 04, 2022

    This is normal, leave it so that the siding can expand and contract with changes in temperature and humidity.

  • Dee Dee on Feb 06, 2022

    Caulk and repaint.

  • Deb K Deb K on Feb 06, 2022

    Hello, hope this helps you out, these are here for expansion and contraction with temperature changes, i would not fill them.

  • Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Feb 08, 2022

    You could sell that with calking some wood is a little warped so it doesn’t lay flush

  • Gathered In The Kitchen Gathered In The Kitchen on Feb 10, 2022

    We used caulk to fill the gaps like this in our home

  • Mogie Mogie on Nov 07, 2022

    Caulk should work well. Just smooth it out with a finger damperned with water.

  • Mogie Mogie on Nov 10, 2022

    If you think the gap is too large for dab quarter round could be the answer.