How do I stop water from coming down a slopping drive from flooding?

+2

Heavy rain runs into the garage from the slopping driveway. Is there anything we can do to prevent this each time it rains?

• Mogie Mogie on Jan 01, 2019

Have a friend who had the same problem. He dug out a 6 inch wide ditch where the drive way and his garage meet. It was about a foot or two deep. He filled it with course gravel and put a very heavy duty wire grate that ran the width of the drive way. Now when it rains the water the naturally comes down towards his garage drains into the ditch before entering his garage.

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Jan 01, 2019

This sounds like you will need a drain put in. I would think a long thin drain before the garage door.

• Exactly what is at my brother in law has at his house. His driveway slopes down toward the home, they dug a trench and built a drain system similar to what Mogie describes. Get help, digging the ditch is hard work!

• V Smith V Smith on Jan 01, 2019

The drain is the most effective option. If you have a place to send the water off to the side you can put a blacktop bump in front of the garage and direct the water off to the side. Blacktop comes in bags and stays soft until you tamp it into place. It isn't easy work you need to be strong to lift the bags and to form it into a solid bump.