How to change out the bathtub drain plate?

  4 answers
  • Ken Ken on Dec 05, 2017
    Okay, what is a plte?

    Bathtub drains use what is called a "drain shoe". It includes the part that drains the water and the part that accepts water from the overflow. Removal is usually pretty easy. There is a special drain wrench (I like the dumbell style, $10 at Home Depot) that you put into the drain and grabs those little cross-bars to unscrew it. Sometimes you need a big pipe wrench to get leverage on the drain wrench on an older install. Usually the overflow just has a couple of screws and it comes right out. There are a couple of different sizes on these drain shoes so you will want to take the old one with you to the hardware store.

  • Wanda Wanda on Dec 05, 2017
    If it is the drain cover with a screw that gets grungy get one at any big box store. They are cheap and all you need is a screw driver.

  • William William on Dec 05, 2017
    Ken's got it. Unscrews with the crossbars. I have use long nose pliers inserted in the crossbars and a screwdriver into the handles to unscrew the drain.