In the winter water drains out of my chimney clean out in the basement

I have a chimney cap
The water cannot be coming from anywhere else ..there is no other possible source
Only happens in winter

• Pam McAlpin Bird Pam McAlpin Bird on Nov 30, 2017
    Sounds like your damper is not sealing and warm air from the house is going up your flue and is condensing on the cold pipe and then the water is running down to the basement clean out.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Nov 30, 2017
    I had water draining into my firebox even with a chimney cap - Found out it was a crack in the cement around the cap. I got a repair person that only worked on chimneys. Now it's not leaking and he was not too expensive.

• Case Case on Nov 30, 2017
    Condensation would be my guess as the cause. The warm air from inside the house is mixing with the cold from the outside and that would probably be the cause of the water. You would be surprised how much water damage can be caused by this. So the solution would be to find some way to not have the two different air temperature mix. You don't give enough information whether this chimney is in use or not and I don't know that the setup is so cant give a definite answer on a fix. However that being said, I do believe I am correct in assuming that it is created by condensation.