Asked on Sep 21, 2014

My kitchen sprayer keeps coming loose.

by Louise
My handyman, who literally knows just about everything, has fixed this for me twice now. He says the reason it keeps coming loose is because it's cheap. My stainless steel sink is original to the 1979 house. I asked the handyman if I need a new sink and he said no. I've had several faucets over the years. I think the one currently in use cost about $70. If I spend more money on one, will it work better? I want to get a faucet with a higher goose neck so am in the market. I've considered one with the pull-down sprayer, but in my mind, pulling on it so often would loosen it. Any ideas or comments?
See how it's come loose?
Loose from the sink.
  17 answers
  • Nancy Spencer Carlson Nancy Spencer Carlson on Sep 21, 2014
    You can buy a sprayer separately from the faucet assembly. Try getting a good one, since the plumber thinks it's the cheapness of the sprayer.
  • Louise Louise on Sep 21, 2014
    I didn't know sprayers come separately. I'll have to look. If I decide to get a pull-down faucet/sprayer, who has positive experience with them?
    • See 3 previous
    • Meredith Black Meredith Black on Sep 24, 2014
      I have the Moens pull down & mine doesn't go all the way back in & have leak in it. Got new parts put them on & still having problems with it. We have hard water & have lime problems so it may be part of the problem.
  • Adrianne C Adrianne C on Sep 22, 2014
    It should have a rubber seal under it, which I don't see in the photos. I also always use Vaseline on rubber seals to help make a good seal, and will keep the rubber from drying out. After that it would just need to be tightened well.
  • @Louise The sprayer ring should be held in place with a plastic nut under the sink. Use some plumbers putty or a flat rubber washer between the top holder and the sink to help hold it in place and make sure the nut is good and tight (since your faucet is already installed this might take two people, one to hold the top and one under the sink to tighten the nut). You can use a basin wrench to help reach it. If you are changing out the complete faucet, purchase on with a life time warranty. Pfister, Kohler and Moen are three that have them. As a contractor, I always use them on my projects. Pfister has a nice pull down that uses a magnet instead of a weight. If you want to go a little more high end they also have one with a no touch on system. Also Moen now makes most of their faucets out of chrome plated plastic, although they stand behind their products, I prefer to install a heavier metal faucet. Good luck!
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Sep 22, 2014
    I just bought a new faucet but I went with the individual handles because I hate the joy stick type handle. I also have a sprayer (which came with it which I do not want) and then I purchased a separate soap dispenser (which I love). I bought Delta because it was the style I wanted. My new sink is black composite which I LOVE. I do not like stainless steel. I did not want the sprayer on the faucet because I do not use one.
    comment photo
  • Darla Darla on Sep 22, 2014
    You don't need to get a new sink to replace the faucet and/or sprayer. It's not hard to install a new kitchen faucet, but it might be hard to get the old one out.
  • Cathy Hargrave Cathy Hargrave on Sep 22, 2014
    I just bought a new sink and faucet. It has the "joy stick" type of handle and spigot is altogether with the sprayer which is magnetized so it will snap back into place after use. Don't waste money on that since the magnet isn't strong enough to do what is claims it will do. I think we got a Delta.
  • Deanna Deanna on Sep 23, 2014
    you can buy just the holder that goes through the hole in the sink. You don't even need a new sprayer. I sold them at the hardware store where I worked. Also, make sure that the hose has a weight attached to it so the spray head wants to seat properly back into the holder
  • Peggy O'Neil Dening Peggy O'Neil Dening on Sep 23, 2014
    They sell small containers of plumber's putty. Open the container and make a worm out of the putty and take the sprayer off the sink by loosening the nut under the sink. Put the putty under the lip of the sprayer holder. Replace the holder, tighten the nut under the sink and you should have no more problem. The putty that leaks out can be scraped off with a plastic knife. You might look under the sink and see if the weight is tightened to the wrong side of the hose. It might also just be getting hung up on things under the sink. I retired from Lowe's plumbing department! If you do replace the faucet be sure to get a name brand so you can get the replacement parts easily. Some use cartridges some just O rings.
  • Pat Pat on Sep 23, 2014
    My pull out sprayer on the faucet works is a Delta (Moen was not recommended at our store) and it has a weight on it to pull the sprayer hose back up into the faucet. Could you ask about putting a weight on your sprayer hose which would then pull it back into place? Looks like you might be missing the weight.
  • Meyndert Borrie Bornman Meyndert Borrie Bornman on Sep 23, 2014
    There should be a rubber seal between the S/steel guide and at the bottom a serrated washer between the nut and cupboard top that will bed into the nut and the top to lock it into place..
  • Mar369880 Mar369880 on Sep 23, 2014
    Sprayer kits are available at any hardware store. I bought one at McLendons and installed it my self. Not the easiest repair but it only cost me $30.00.
  • Randy Randy on Sep 23, 2014
    Wrap a few turns of teflon tape around the threads and it should stay snug for you.
  • Sharon E. Hines Sharon E. Hines on Sep 23, 2014
    I have a Moen faucet with a separate sprayer ( also Moen) and it keeps coming loose too. Very frustrating. I was just wondering what to do about it... so glad you asked the question.
  • John John on Sep 23, 2014
    it is way past time for a new faucet and i bet the sink could be rusted underneath,,,Moen is a very good brand with lifetime warranty. i install a lot of sink and faucets. if the plastic housing that holds the sprayer keeps coming lose from the sink deck , use a little clear caulk between the top flange and the sink deck and re install it. if the problem is that the sprayer wont stay on the housing like in the photo, something below is in the way of the hose, some sprayers come with a 2 piece weight that attaches to the hose to keep it in place. hope this helps
  • Kelly S Kelly S on Sep 24, 2014
    Jeff, @Home Repair Tutor , can you help her out? I think you posted something before but I can't find it.
  • 9530106 9530106 on Aug 02, 2015
    Mine looks just like that! I cracked the underside, threaded piece that screws onto the escutcheon to hold it tight.That is all you should need, or perhaps buy a new sprayer kit, and everything will be included.