How to Unclog drains?

+1
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jan 02, 2018
    https://www.hometalk.com/diy/-24007102

• Carrie Krumrie Carrie Krumrie on Jan 02, 2018
    Many stores have this thin flexible plastic stick, with barbs on the sides. You put the flexible plastic down the drain, it will pull up hair, which could be plugging your drain. Or but baking soda down the drain and add vinegar. This should clear it out. May need to do that several times.
    On Thanksgiving , my sweet husband puts all the peeling in the disposal. The drain usually clogs. Which means to go under sink, take a bucket, undo the fittings under there. Pour water in bucket. Clear drain, put drain fittings back together. You have fixed your drain!!!!

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jan 02, 2018
    Depending on which drain it is, I have a couple of answers. I would suggest if it's a bathroom sink or tub drain, you probably have hair caught and soap and other residue is building up on it. A simple long tool can be slid through drain holes and pull the globs out. If it's worse than that, you may need a chemical intervention. I dislike drain cleaners, but once you remove the problem, regular cleaning will help keep it clear. If it's in the kitchen, it is probably a grease buildup that is causing any debris to build up. Again, if you can't clear it with hot water, I would use a good drain cleaner. Always run hot water down the drain after anything goes down it, like if you had just scrubbed a pan. I also keep a screened plug in my sink drains to catch debris since it is much easier to empty them. I also pour vinegar down my drains at least once a week to help them stay clear and smell better. It helps and doesn't take a lot. Let it sit for awhile and then run hot water.