How do I remove a globe that is stuck to a wood top?

+13

My globe is large and heavy, and it has a metal base. It has been sitting on top of a tall cabinet. It is now stuck to the wood and won’t budge. I assume there is a padding of some kind that has melted to the cabinet.

q how do i remove a globe that is stuck to a wood top
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Aug 10, 2021

You could safely try baby oil, WD 40, or Goo Gone.

• Judy in Canton. Judy in Canton. on Aug 10, 2021

If you think it stuck because a glue melted try using a hair blower to re-melt it and gently pry it off. Is it possible to blow the hot air from underneath where the globe is?

• Jan Clark Jan Clark on Aug 10, 2021

Yes! Warm the base with a blow dryer on low. Move it around so the heat is evenly dispersed. Should lift off after a minute or two.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Aug 10, 2021

Heat it up by using a blow dryer on medium heat and keep moving it around slowly. Be patient because it may take a while. I would enlist help to gently pull on the globe as you work on heating the surface under it. Use a nylon spatula, the kind for non stick skillets, to help loosen.

• William William on Aug 10, 2021

Usually they have a felt pad on the bottom to prevent scratching furniture. I would first try heating the base with a blow dryer. Spraying WD40 might work. Saturating around the base with Goo Gone may work.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Aug 10, 2021

try lemon oil (like furniture polish oil) that should remove it and hopefully you won't have any damage to the wood furniture

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Aug 10, 2021

Hello. I would agree with the above commentary to try a hair dryer or an oil product to see if you can break the seal using something like a flexible plastic cutting board like at the ones at dollar tree. You might be able to wedge between the base and the furniture and slowly release as its advanced . Such a thin flexible plastic item will not cause damage or scratching with its characteristic properties. Best wishes!

• Dee Dee on Aug 10, 2021

I would use a hair dryer first, if that does not work I would spray some WD 40. Get a plastic scraper, in the auto department of Walmart and try to pry the edges up being careful not to damage the cabinet.

• Betsy Betsy on Aug 11, 2021

Hi Sandra: Well, can you get to the bottom of the top? Like underneath? Then maybe put your hair dryer on the area on high and see if you can soften whatever is that is holding the globe which, I may add is very pretty. :) It may take a while, a long while, but heat it and then try to turn the base of the globe ever so gently. Don't rush or you may find that you have to redo the top of the cabinet.

Good luck

• Maybe try a hair dryer or even a butter knife to go around the edges (very carefully!).

• Homeroad Homeroad on Aug 15, 2021

I would get up there and try a flat screw driver of some kind and try to pry it off. This may cause some damage that might be able to be sanded but I have a feeling if something melted into the wood there is damage anyway. You might want to try a hair dryer or heat gun to loosen it too. It might move if it gets warm.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Aug 16, 2021

Have you tried a paint spa hula slide it under it and lift

• I would use an orange stick for nails and coat the tip with oil (baby oil or cooking oil) and gentle work it under the edge like you would to remove a glued on nail. The wood shouldn't damage your wood or the piece. You probably just need one area to loosen and it'll pop.

• Deb K Deb K on Sep 12, 2021

Hello, you can heat it up and use fishing line to break the seal it has formed, hold the line tight and slide it under the base