What type of glue to use for repair of cracked kitchen cabinet door?

Kathleen N
by Kathleen N
  6 answers
  • KMS Woodworks KMS Woodworks on May 22, 2012
    Is this a solid wood door?...raised panel? In all of the furniture building I do, my number 1 choice is Tightbond 3 This is the Tightbond with the green cap. Get as much glue into the crack as possible then clamp it up. I like to leave my glue -ups clamped for 3-4 hours min. It you do not have clamps, you may be able to pull it together by hand and then apply some blue painters tape, under tension, over the repair area
  • To clamp you can also use a rubber bungee cord or a rope that you tighten up by twisting a screwdriver in and turning it. Personally I use any good quality white wood glue. Be sure regardless of what you use that you remove any extra that squeezes out of the crack when you clamp it down. Water works well on the white glues such as Elmer's wood glue.
  • N C N C on May 22, 2012
    Use tight bong. And a clamp Elmer's should not be used as it is water based.
  • Home Repair Tutor Home Repair Tutor on May 23, 2012
    Hi Kathleen, Like NC i would use Tite Bond. But if the door will need stained after you glue it back together then check out Elmer's line of stainable wood glue.
  • Bernice H Bernice H on May 24, 2012
    Yikes, I have the same problem! I just forget about it.Thanks guys! And thanks Kathleen, for posting this. Dont you just love Hometalk?
  • Kathleen N Kathleen N on May 24, 2012
    It is a solid wood door. I didn't find Tightbond at Home Depot but purchased and used Gorilla wood glue and a contractor that was working at my home had a large enough clamp so I think I got my problem handled. Thank you so much for your responses. I will use hometalk more now that I have found this website.