Can this window frame be repaired without replacing?

q can this window frame be repaired without replacing
rain water damage. hope I can just go over the top with something.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jan 06, 2018
    You will need to get rid of the peeling paint before you do anything. Is that real wood or some kind of composite, it looks like some of it has expanded at the furthest edge of the frame away from the window.

• Tom Stuart Tom Stuart on Jan 06, 2018
    I think it would be much easier to replace it. Window sills are usually held in place by a few nails. Because this is composite board it might be held in place by a construction mastic. I would start gently prying it up. It will probably break quickly and you can clean it out. Get a piece of fir at your hardware store. They should be able to cut it for you if you don‘t have the tools.

If it is pressed board the water may have damaged it to much, you can't really sand it down to make it even and flat. I would consider replacing it with wood and make sure to paint and seal with a waterproof top coat like marine polyurethane in case the window leaks again.