Can you soundproof an apartment? Can you buy soundproof windows?

I live in a ground floor and the noise at night is unbearable...I am thinking of changing my do u droid ones...does it exist?
  7 answers
  • Frauke Frauke on Jun 10, 2016
    The only way to reduce the noise coming through the existing windows is to install a "window" in front of the existing (on the interior side of the window). The material you can use does not have to glass, but can also be Plexiglas. Just install small wooden strips around the perimeter of the window opening and attach the Plexiglas to it by either screwing it to the wood or by attaching a second wood strip to "sandwich" the Plexiglas. The Plexiglas does not have to be very thick, but you achieve better sound-reducing results if the wooden frame you attach to the opening is not touching the existing window frame. This will help. Downside, you cannot open the windows any longer without taking your soundproofing down. I don't know what window type you have installed, but in general higher soundrating in windows in achieved different ways: Don't use any type of sliding window neither vertical or horizontal, but choose a window with a pressure-seal like a casement, awning or hopper. Choose laminated glass as window glazing. The frame material in residential housing is mainly vinyl, however in Apartment and Condo complexes Aluminum windows are used. Make sure if you replace your existing windows with Aluminum windows to choose thermally broken aluminum frames. That gives you not only better sound rating on your windows, but also better energy performance

  • William William on Jun 10, 2016
    If your renting, make sure you get permission from the landlord in writing.

  • MN Mom MN Mom on Jun 10, 2016
    Room darkening solar shades and curtains might help reduce the noise. Short of blocking the window off, which is most likely a violation of housing codes, the best I can suggestion is heave duty drapery, asking the offenders to be respectful (unless it's highway street traffic or something beyond your control) and investing in a fan or white noise machine.

  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 10, 2016
    Honestly I would speak to the landlord on this. Trying to sound proof you place without permission is never good and I think he should be responsible not you. Just my thought.

  • Sparkles Sparkles on Jun 11, 2016
    bubble wrap over the windows then cover with drop cloth plastic. will give a little buffering.

  • Beatrice wiesel Beatrice wiesel on Jun 11, 2016
    Thank you so much I will look into it, beatrice