How can I adjust my door so it hangs evenly?

+3
Please help, and trust me, the space at the top of my door is much worse than this picture shows. The space is 1/4” on right and almost one inch on left. It is a metal outside door. Thank you in advance
q how can i adjust my door so it hangs evenly
Space above door is uneven.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 21, 2017
    Try adjusting the hinges.

• William William on Dec 21, 2017
    Check to make sure all the screws are tight. What you could do is remove two screws on every hinge on the door jamb side and replace with longer screws. If that doesn't work, remove the screws on the bottom hinge on the jamb side and use pieces of cardboard as shims under the hinge.

• PRESIDENTSAC PRESIDENTSAC on Dec 21, 2017
      Paint stir sticks cut to fit will last longer and won't compress like cardboard.

• you can find small packages of wooden shims at Lowe's and Home Depot. place shims where the hinges are to adjust. make sure all screws are tightened the same.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 21, 2017
    Here's a cool way to adjust the hinge with both a longer screw and a penny if needed.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyksprFZTqo

• William William on Dec 21, 2017
    PRESIDENTSAC! Paint stir sticks may sometimes be too thick. Door will bind or lockset won't latch properly. Been there done that. Cardboard is better. You want some flex as you tighten the screws to get the proper gap around the door. May take two or three layered pieces. Easier than trying to whittle stir stick down to fit.