How do I fix the wood that my puppy chewed?

by Shannon

New puppies are great! However, my Super Chewer chewed the wood work on the bottom of my door frames as well as the bottom edges of my kitchen cabinets =( . I have a very small budget and would like to fix it myself now that she is no longer chewing on the wood.

  8 answers
  • Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Jun 17, 2019

    On the pine wood it looks like you could just sand smooth and coat with orange shellac. Can't really tell on cabinets. Are they partical board with wood film over it? You could try Bondo as filler and paint to look like wood.

  • Pam Walker Pam Walker on Jun 17, 2019

    GET some sculpting clay & fill in the gaps. Wipe them smooth using your wet fingers. Allow it to dry overnight, then paint it the same color as the wood. It's inexpensive & you control the build-up & you won't havta worry about sanding or re-staining or any of those carpentry tricks. It's easy & fun.

  • Lisa Sinclair Lisa Sinclair on Jun 17, 2019

    Fill with wood putty. There's products for paint, and stain.

  • Shannon Shannon on Jun 17, 2019

    I'm not sure what material the cabinets are? all of the above suggestions seem easy and doable. Thank you all for your suggestions!

  • Annie Annie on Jun 17, 2019

    Ours ate the window sills in 2 rooms and the legs on my antique buffet. My husband used wood putty. It did take several times to fill, sand, fill, sand before it looked right.

  • William William on Jun 17, 2019

    Use wood putty to fill in and shape the chewed up areas. Lightly sand then paint or stain.

  • Dee Dee on Jun 17, 2019

    I used Elmer's wood putty on my door frame, I had to fill it a little at a time, so that it would harden good. Came out perfect. I think you can sand down the scratched part with a 220 grit or better then re-stain

  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Jun 18, 2019

    Use the wood putty but mix in the color of your stain before applying it to the damaged areas. This way it will blend in better, sand and then cover with a varnish or varathane to seal it.