How do I get a door to close?

+7

I have a wooden door that gets stuck when it rains. It is hard to open and close, can you please help me. Thank you. Dan

• Gayemarie Gayemarie on Jan 18, 2019

Sprinkle Baby powder on the door-jam and threshold ...if it still sticks, lightly sand the area with a sanding block first...good luck

• Dfm Dfm on Jan 18, 2019

when you get dry conditions, take the door off the hinges and let it dry out. when dry paint or otherwise seal the door and door frame. you may need to sand some areas where its been sticking.

• Oliva Oliva on Jan 18, 2019

Applying bees wax to the wood will reduce sticking.

• Alice Alice on Jan 19, 2019

you can open the screws on the hinge but don't take them out. Put a few toothpicks under one or the other at the bottom of the hinge. Put the screws back in. You may have to do this several time when the humidity rises. adjust the toothpicks and add more if needed, but this will allow the door to move freely. I did this on a closet door and it worked for me.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on May 10, 2021

Hello Dan,

You would need to shave a bit off the door where it sticks!

• Sharon Sharon on Oct 01, 2021

If its not too bad, run a bar of soap or a block of wax along the top and sides of the door. If that doesn't work, I would also check the hinges haven't gotten loose and need tightening or repair.

Then you might rub some graphite on the edge of the door, close it, and then open it to see where the door is sticking. You can plane that part of the door, or try sanding down a bit.

• Betsy Betsy on Oct 16, 2021

Hi Dan: You may need to take a bit of wood off of the swolen part. What you can do is to get some chalk and run it up and down the edge of the door and then close the door and open it. Where the chalk is rubbed off is where it's sticking. Then, sand down those areas and maybe take the shine off of the rest of that part of the door and put a THIN coat of Thompson's Waterseal on the whole thing. It seems that moisture is getting into the wood and this should help it out. Also, check the weather stripping on the frame to see if it's letting air in. Once way to do this is to get a stick, light it and let it burn a bit and then blow the fire out so that you have only smoke. Put it near the frame and where there is air coming in, or out, the smoke will react. Those are the areas that need to be adjusted. Sometimes it's just fluffing up the fuzz on the strip, bending it out with a screw driver or replacing it all together. But, that's the area causing the problem.

Good luck