How do I remove a knob from my cabinet door?

+2
The screw won’t budge, any hints you have would be greatly appreciate! Thanks!

• Chris Chris on Dec 28, 2017
    Sometimes you can unscrew by the knob itself, instead of the screw on the backside (put a screwdriver on the screw and twist the knob).

if that doesn’t work, I’d try some WD-40!

• Jamie Boyce Jamie Boyce on Dec 28, 2017
    And I have the opposite problem, mine won't stay screwed in. If it is a single knob you could try securing the screw with the tip of a screwdriver and turning the knob instead of the screw. Sometime a small amount of WD40 will help (just squirt a little on and leave it to soak for a time before you try again). Good luck!

• San29614261 San29614261 on Dec 28, 2017
    Thanks for your ideas, I tried both before reaching out, neither worked.

• Lisa King-Boyle Lisa King-Boyle on Dec 28, 2017
    I would use a pair of pliers to hold onto the knob, Then holding onto the cabinet I would unscrew the screw while holding onto the cabinet. Unscrew the screw with your screw driver. Don't know if this was how you did it or not. Also you can try to spray on a speck of 10/20 oil onto the screw. Then slowly try screwing it. If you can even loosen it a speck that way, you can back it off , add some more 10/20 oil onto the screw and then try it. Hopefully this helps. Then twenty oil come from the automotive store. Maybe you could try sewing machine oil instead if you have that.

• William William on Dec 29, 2017
    Grab the knob with a pliers and hold it firmly. Using an electric drill, drill through the head of the screw. You may want to start with a very small drill bit to drill a pilot hole (this will keep the larger drill you're about to use from 'walking' off the screw head when you start to drill). If the screw has a Phillips head, no need to bother with the smaller drill; the head will serve to keep the larger drill on course.

You want to use a drill that is close to, but slightly less than, the diameter of the screw's threads.

What will happen is you'll essentially hollow out the screw head and the upper part of the screw. If you did a good job of selecting a drill size, the screw head may literally come off on the drill as you go down through the head (and look for all the world like a washer around your spinning drill bit). If the drill was a bit too small and the head doesn't just fall off, no problem. Stop drilling and yank the head off with a pliers. There's very little metal holding it on to the shaft.

With the head of the screw now removed, removal of the cabinet knob will be obvious!