What's the most attractive way to protect a sliding glass patio door?

+2
We're buying a house that has a sliding glass door from the dining room to a small wooden deck with a roof over it. The deck needs replaced and we want to make it twice the original size. The house has a stone porch on the front with a roof. I want to have the new deck with no roof since the house already has the front porch, but my husband says the weather will mess up the sliding glass door tracks. He wants to put a roof over half of the new deck. I think that will look odd. What's the best way to solve this problem?
  • Jeanne Reed Jeanne Reed on Jun 12, 2017
    Consider sun exposure and use of the deck before saying no to a roof. Think sky lights for some light... ...

• Brenda Brandt Deason Brenda Brandt Deason on Jun 12, 2017
    Could you make a cover with wood slats? That would let light in. Attach plexiglass over the section above the sliding glass doors. It wouldn't be very noticeable unless it was really dirty.

• Doug Doug on Jun 12, 2017
    Before leaving a sliding glass door open to the weather I would suggest that you consult with a knowledgable contractor or manufacturers representative in your area regarding what the problems, if any, will be. If the door is exposed to the weather, especially storms, you may get water in the house during storms and especially inthe winter, if ice and snow form a dam against the door which will allow the melt water to get high enough to flow over the door sill. You could also be "locked in" by frozen snow/ice in the tracks etc. depending on your door sealing system. I have not lived in the cold areas for many years but it used to happen. We always protected all of our entry doors from direct weather access and stayed out of trouble.

• Doris Huskey Doris Huskey on Jun 12, 2017
    Brenda's idea of a pagoda would be very pretty. Lots of light but partly covered. Also, think of awning. It could cover part of the deck and not look odd at all. It can also be rolled up so the entire roof is open or rolled out for sun protection when you grill out or just sit out on the deck.