Tip: purchase second hand supplies...

Purchase supplies second hand (i.e., thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales) for DIY projects - you'd be amazed at how many things you can find! Ever had a good second hand find?
  5 answers
  • Judy Ramsey Judy Ramsey on Feb 04, 2017
    I have done yard sales and found lots of my sewing notions and needs, and sewing tools. Just love to find bags with different things in them for two dollars or a box of fabric for 5 dollars. Like Christmas when you get home and sort it all out. Love finding sewing baskets filled with things for little to nothing and get new notions still new in the packaging they came from the store.

    • Neva Dew Neva Dew on Feb 05, 2017
      I lucked into a $5 box of "quilting" at a thrift store. Bought it because I knew the 2-3 lengths of fabric in it were worth more than the $5. Got home and sorted it all out to find I also had yards and yards and yards of various colored and designed precut strips. I now will be doing lots of string piecing for any quilt blocks I make: have just about finished a top for a Project Linus quilt to donate. Had sticker shock at the fabric store when I went to buy yardage for that quilt's backing!! Must remember to get twin sheet sets on sale for about $10 - much cheaper yardage that way!

  • Sue Kiene Sue Kiene on Feb 04, 2017
    and rehab stores too.

  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 05, 2017
    I agree!! All of our furniture is second hand and I couldn't be happier!Thanks!!

  • Mary Gendron Mary Gendron on Feb 07, 2017
    I guess I can beat you on this one. I found a sewing machine at the Town Dump!!
    Sometimes, if something is still good, people will put it to the side in case someone wants it. I saw a sewing machine case just like mine (plastic), Mine was broken, so I went to grab it. The machine was still inside. Took it home, dusted, oiled it, and got new rubber parts for it and it's still going great 20 years later. It's a strait stitch Kenmore, older model-metal. It works better than my newer fancier computorized Kenmore. The new ones can't handle heavier materials or sewing repairs. But the older metal ones are built to work and last for years. And fewer repairs.I had the new one less than a year and I had to replace 2 motors. The old one only needs a new tension knob. Have fun finding stuff.

  • Dian Dian on Feb 07, 2017
    Anything that involves my hands more than my brain I'm good at - intricate bead work, knitting & crochet, sewing by hand & machine, home decorating, & lots of carpentry, my favorite. I have a full carpentry workshop w/great power tools. My best 'deal' was a yard sale purchase of a $300 almost new drill press, I paid $40.00!!! About 70% of my house stuff is selectively second hand, but definitely quality stuff - not junk. The other 30% is new, but always 'on sale' at a good savings. So, why am I not rich?

    • Most of my furniture is antique - handed down, or my father built for me, with a sprinkling of early american garage sale, thrift store, dumpster dive find and a couple store bought, my bed and the sofa, items just like you. I think the same thing, but I live in an expensive area . . . I always start at the dollar store and work my way up. I have not set foot in a mall for over 20 years. I did have to go in a couple times for a gift registry and was a complete fish out of water . . . Hmmm, again, must be time to move!