How do I put in a glass tile backspash?

+1

I want to put in a glass tile back splash and I have a very small kitchen but I am nervous that I can't do it myself. I really can not afford to pay anyone for this if I can possibly do it myself.

• Pat Russell Pat Russell on Aug 30, 2018

Hi, Loretta: I haven't done glass tile, but I would think it isn't much different in application than any other tile. I think you should go for it and spruce up your kitchen to make you happy! Folks where you purchase the tile should be able to give you some good instruction and some big box stores even have classes (mostly free) that could help you.

• Susan Susan on Aug 30, 2018

One major thing you have to do is make sure you have a white mastic, because the if you use regular mastic it will dull the look of your glass tiles.

This post has a lot of good info on putting in back splashes.

https://www.hometalk.com/diy/tile/backsplash/a-few-tips-to-get-your-started-with-tiling-17520515

• Lori Fitzgibbon Lori Fitzgibbon on Aug 30, 2018

Tile is as hard as it looks it just takes time and planning. I tiles my back splash with a stone tile so I know you can do this. Glass tiles are stunning and your kitchen will sparkle!

To get ready for your project you need a piece of paper, pencil/pen, measuring tape and a friend helps. Sketch your back splash on your paper, like a layout of what you are doing. Indicate plugs, switches, window sills that interrupt the flow of the wall. This will help you later.

Now measure the walls length and write it on your drawing.

Measure the width and write it on the drawing. You can measure around obstructions if you want. Your tile squares are 12 X 12 (a a whole) within that the smaller tiles are individually attached and can be cut out if needed.

Now, hit your stores web site. What does the manufacture suggest as tools? what do you already have or can use? I didn't buy the expensive pans for the grout or the mastic (glue). I used an old plastic container I had. Made sure it was clean and dry. I also made sure my tools, putty knife and grout float were clean and dry before use.

Make your shopping list---Don't forget something to cover your counter tops and floor. (I'm messy with this and thank goodness I had sink covered and old clothes on when I grouted, lol)

You will need: tiles; don't forget the top cap!; spacers, mastic (glue for back of tiles) gout, grout float, something to apply mastic to back of tiles, they come in different sizes, sponge (I used a large kitchen sponge and a bucket), paper towels, something to cover your counter tops. Wherever you go, the sales person will be able to help you with supplies. But looking on line first assures you have a list to take with you. After all, they are human and can forget too. Most important: ASK QUESTIONS---If I need to cut a tile, how do I do it?

Once you get home with your goodies I wouldn't start this at night. I would wait and start in the morning. Once you see it you wont want to stop! You can wash down the wall though. Make sure it's clean and grease free. Allow it to dry completely before you begin.

Once you are ready, I drew a grid on the wall so I knew ahead of time if there was going to be a tile that needed adjusting. If it was around my window, i did it first. Otherwise, you pick a corner and start there.

Apply the mastic to the back of the tile and press really hard to the wall. Make sure it lines up with the counter and the wall. Continue going up using a spacer between each tile if that is how you want it to look and is recommended by the manufacturer. This will need to dry overnight before you grout. Make sure you clean ALL of your tools really well.

Before you grout, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!! They will be very specific as to how to mix and how much space they cover. If you need more, go get before you start.

As I said, it's not hard. It just takes time and planning on your part. Watch a few videos on Hometalk and other online sources before you get into it if your not sure of other DIY'er's. Have fun and let those creative juices flow!

• Vivian Vivian on Aug 30, 2018

If you have a plain wall you will have to clean it then apply a premixed motor made for glass follow the instructions for the trowel depth. Watch a you tube video that will take some of the fear out of the project. Use an unsanded grout because your wanting to use glass so it won’t scratch the tile. Seal the back splash with a good tile sealer it will keep grout and tiles easier to clean. Take measurements and get extra tile just Incase you have an oops moment.