Can I get a new tile floor without removing old floor?

Hi Folks- I have a 60+ year old house with the "dime" sized tiles in small patterns on the bathroom floor. It is starting to come up in individual pieces in the corners. Previous homeowners had put down a rug and used tape that won't come up. Long story short- it is horrific and I hate it. I also don't want to buy ANOTHER cheap wall to wall to put down. I'm begging my hubby for a new floor but he says, "too much work"... (he is 66)... taking up the old floor. Is there ANYWAY to have it done without removing it...PLEASE HELP :)

• Nope, nope, nope, time and again, the new floor will fail in the short term. The old floor must come out first. Yes it is messy and an inconvenience. That is how renovation goes, gotta get dirty and ugly before pretty. Plus the added height will create an awkward transition and a tripping hazard. My flooring guys would refuse the job. Save up and do it right.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jul 09, 2018
    I echo Naomie- nope, nope, nope, ....for all the same reasons.

• P.c29445687 P.c29445687 on Jul 09, 2018

We did two bathroom floors without taking up the old floor and that has been 17 years ago. We did not put ceramic over ceramic though, it was not stick on tiles but that same material that you glue down. No problems so far, but you will have to fix the threshold too. Do to ceramic over ceramic I would say No too.