How do I mosaic this table??

+10

Can I glue my tiles to the table and then grout? Or does it need to be a solid surface?

q how do i mosaic this table
  • Lin50523638 Lin50523638 on Jul 15, 2021

Cut an underlayment of MDF or other thin board with jig saw. Tile. Grout. Done. I would not do it without underlayment and I have found MDF works for me. Caution - I always spray it with a top coat to make it "waterproof" just in case. good luck! Hope this helps.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jul 15, 2021

Hello. You will need to install a waterproof surface to mount the tiles on —if —this is going to be an exterior table. Your mastic would seep through the mesh holes otherwise.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jul 15, 2021

Yes, an underlayment is needed, wood or thick plexiglass would work well. Be sure to seal the top and sides when done so it does not get stained and is waterproofed.

Sounds like a fun project, please consider posting it when you are done.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Jul 15, 2021

Agreed you will want an underlayment of some kind. Honestly with real tile I would lean toward using cement board instead of plywood.

• Em Em on Jul 15, 2021

Grout would fall straight thru the holes. Home Depot has "rounds" of wood precut to about this size. You could use a product like Loctite to adhere it to the table top or add a bolt or two countersunk from the top thru the metal top with a nut on the bottom. That would keep the top of the bolt head flush with the wood. Seal with poly meant for outdoors.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jul 15, 2021

You could put a piece of luan. It's probably the thinnest medium you can use.

• Cut a piece of thin plywood or luan to form the base. Attach it to the table and then you can start your mosaic.

• Dee Dee on Jul 15, 2021

Both Home Depot and Lowes sells round table tops. or you can buy some MDF. If you have scrap wood, you can cut it down to fit the table. Then you can tile it. You will need thin set and grout. I have that same table and I sprayed mine Oil Rubbed Bronze and love it. I accented it with rub and buff. Easy Peasy

• William William on Jul 15, 2021

Needs to be solid. Thin piece of plywood.

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 15, 2021

Hi Peggy: I would get a piece of wood cut to size for the top. Otherwise the glue would slip out of the holes. Then paint the wood to match your pretty pink table and glue on whatever you are going to use.

Good luck

• GeorgiaBulldogsFan GeorgiaBulldogsFan on Jul 16, 2021

I agree with other folks, solid material attached to the table top. Then tile and grout. You would have a HUGE mess of grout droppings without something solid underneath.

• Annie Annie on Jul 18, 2021

I would use mortar, that will adear to the mesh on the table