Ideas for Broken terracotta pots?

+1
The other day I read (and now can't find) a topic a reader asked about what to do about broken terracotta pots. I loved the ideas, but I've been wondering if it would be ok to break them up even more and add them to the garden soil? I live in a very hot climate with stretches of 0% rain. Terracotta has such absorbent qualities that it seemed to make sense that mixing it with soil would help keep the soil moist. I suggesting to basically smash it into tiny pieces (not dust and shards) Maybe about the size of a dime or less. Obviously, gloves would be needed, but can anyone think of a reason this would not work?

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jun 14, 2018
    Build a fairy garden - Use at base of Pot Plants for drainage - Glue back together and decorate.........Make hedgehog homes if big enough...

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 14, 2018
    https://www.hometalk.com/2568303/from-broken-pot-to-mini-garden-sculpture?r=2

• Linda B. Linda B. on Jun 14, 2018
    Hi there. I been thinking about your idea of breaking up terracotta clay pots for adding moister to the soil. I've been a gardener for over 60 years. I never thought of doing this. But the more I think on it I think it would work. It wouldn't hurt anything. I really think it's a good idea!!

• Meena Meena on Jun 14, 2018
    I use the broken pieces in my planters, it looks like there is another planter within the planter. Just place like a puzzle to make it look like the plant has another planter surrounding it. A decorative thought.