Decor

+58
Any ideas how I can use these glass pie pans as decorations?
decor, repurposing upcycling, A couple of these were my grandmother s
A couple of these were my grandmother's
  • Victoria Victoria on Aug 29, 2013
    How about picture frames? Enlarge and trim photos to fit and hang with plate hangers, or maybe paint with chalkboard paint and write greetings or messages

• Lorah Marquardt Lorah Marquardt on Aug 29, 2013
    Use Modge Podge or white glue and food coloring to tint them. There are lots of how to posts here on Hometalk. I think if you search mason jars you'll find some that way.

• Michelle Michelle on Aug 30, 2013
    You can Modge Podge fabric or cool scrapbooking paper to them. If you attach them to the bottom you can still use the bowls for serving food, etc. If you attach it to the inside, make sure to put a layer of podge to protect and seal it. I wouldn't put food in there then. You can make a cool wall hanging arrangement by using those metal plate holders that can hang on a wall. Or decorate them with holiday themes!!!!!!!

• Lynette Packer Lynette Packer on Aug 30, 2013
    Use etching acid and etch holiday themed pictures or any picture to add to your decor.

• Therese C Therese C on Aug 30, 2013
    You could spray four of them with Mercury Glass paint, and the other four with mirror paint. Then prop the mirrors up behind the Mercury Glass, add colored stones or sand in the Mercury Glass, add some candles and voila' instant reflective candle dishes for the holidays!

• Judy Willemsen Judy Willemsen on Aug 31, 2013
      @Therese C thank you Therese....have to say I've never heard of mirror paint or Mercury Glass paint. Now, I'm very curious.

• Maureen Nussbeck Maureen Nussbeck on Aug 31, 2013
    do some easy painting of flowers, letters etc and hang them with plate hangers

• Sharron Unser Sharron Unser on Aug 31, 2013
    use them in the garden as bird feeders by stacking them with a pedestal or drill holes thru them and hang them from trees and put water or feed in them.

• Gloria Duy Gloria Duy on Aug 31, 2013
    I have seen people decoupage the backs. Once you Mod Podge some images and it dries you can sponge paint with gold or another color over that and it looks real finished. I saw some made of vintage valentines and they put lace around the outside edge and painted over it with gold, then pulled the lace off. If you go to the blog The graphics fairy she has a million vintage images you can download for free. I just made a bunch of things using her birds and flowers.

• Tracey Lalena Tabers Tracey Lalena Tabers on Aug 31, 2013
    wow! I've got so many ideas! What about hot gluing acrylic "bling" to them, or what about faux flowers for a 3-d effect. Gold leaf parts of it, decoupage, or make them into mosaics. Spray paint them with spray paint just for glass.

• SicilianMa SicilianMa on Aug 31, 2013
    You could fill with scented potpourri; wrap the entire pie plate with a complimentary color netting and tie with ribbon or raffia. Place in kitchen, dining room, family or living room. Also makes a great gift. Another idea would be to tint the back of the glass, add water and floating candles for a special party. You could place them on a raised glass cake plate to tier at different levels.

@SicilianMa Thank you. I've never known how to make a potpourri that suits my style.

• Donna Donna on Aug 31, 2013
    Glitter them. Glue a hook with E6000 glue and hang them from your porch as big Christmas ornaments.

• Anna Harrison Anna Harrison on Aug 31, 2013
    No, just make MORE PIES!!!!!! :)

@Anna Harrison I still have 3 deep dish pie plates! Have to have deep dish for pumpkin pie!

• Jane Burkhart Jane Burkhart on Aug 31, 2013
    How about painting them and putting numbers on them to make a wall clock? It might look cool!

• Tamara Tamara on Aug 31, 2013
    You can stencil them.

• See 1 previous
    • Tamara Tamara on Aug 31, 2013
      @Judy Willemsen I have stenciled on just about everything. I use Caromal Colors paint. It's a paint that sticks to any and every thing. Below is a website where you can purchase and hopefully you can get some ideas as well: fabulousfinishes.wordpress.com

• Linda Linda on Aug 31, 2013
    Scrub them so they're super clean. Use good spray paint to spray the outside. I'd use robin egg blue. Tape edges so it's a clean job. Each time you have a favorite guest, have him or her sign, with a thick permanent marker, the inside of one of them nice and large and graphically. Hang as an arrangement.

• Sandra Raburn Sandra Raburn on Aug 31, 2013
    I use some of mine that had a chip in them as ---- flower pot bottom. Keeps the water from running all over the place and the hold up very well. Better than anything you can buy. I have bought them as cheap as 10¢ if they had a small chip.

@Sandra Raburn I have to be honest and say I'm leaning towards using them for flower pot bottoms when I bring in my geraniums!

• Found & Fancied Goods Found & Fancied Goods on Aug 31, 2013
    How about taking the ones that were your Grandmother's and etching her pie recipes onto them. You can then display them on a shelf. This would make them terrific family keepsakes to pass on to the next generation. The ones that aren't sentimental could be paired with thrift store goblets, candlesticks, or clear ceiling fan sconces to create pedestals. I also love the bird feeder idea. Here are a few links to ideas. Mercury glass pedestal http://pinterest.com/pin/134826582565894840/ Clear glass pedestal http://pinterest.com/pin/357121445421483267/ Hanging bird feeder http://pinterest.com/pin/140806208853233/ How to etch glass (shows pie plate) http://pinterest.com/pin/173036810653656076/

• Bettijane Krall Bettijane Krall on Aug 31, 2013
    Bake pies in them and donate to a homeless shelter.

• Judy Grecco Judy Grecco on Aug 31, 2013
    Buy Stain Glass paint them as giant flowers, but I love the by @Andie - Found & Fancied about etching your grandmothers recipe in the one's that were hers!

• Sandra Whittier Sandra Whittier on Aug 31, 2013
    Bettijane! I was going to suggest Baking pies, brownnies, or what ever flots your boat and gift them in colored cellephane at Christmas. Lots of us can't remember where they got off to and keep having to buy more. Used to be a shameful to give anything in a store bought pie tin.

• Pat Pat on Aug 31, 2013
    I also like the the idea by @Andie-Found & Fancied about etching your Grandmother's Recipe in the one's that were hers. For the ones that didn't belong to anyone, you could drill some holes for hanging and spray with Glow in the Dark Paint, put a plant in it for the Garden. Great special effect. It will glow at night.

• Jean DeSavage Jean DeSavage on Aug 31, 2013
    You can glue pretty paper napkins to the bottoms and you can still use them for food. You use Mod Podge first and then after to seal the paper to the back of the plate. You can also paint the back of the plate. By doing the back, you can make it decorative, but still have the front useable, and the pretty part doesn't get disturbed.

• KrysFL KrysFL on Aug 31, 2013
    I like the suggestion of baking pies as gifts this christmas, then wrapping in celophane with a pretty christmas bow and giving the plate away with the pie.

• Barb Barb on Aug 31, 2013
    keep grandmothers. then use some as plant coasters . since they are clear. they will not take away ,from the pretty plant pot that you set in them. I use mine also to serve spaghetti in.

• Therese C Therese C on Aug 31, 2013
    I guess you could bake fresh pies in all of them and then ask for my shipping info... :)

• Wanda sinnema Wanda sinnema on Sep 01, 2013
    for something different,,I have several sheperds hooks in my back yard. wrap the rim in wire then add chain or or wire..fill with water and another with birdseed..or both with water the birds will love you..

• Polly Liles Polly Liles on Sep 01, 2013
    I use this type of pie container as plates. I guess it came from a blind grandfather, he never lost his food on the table. It's the only one we eat on now.

• Therese C Therese C on Sep 01, 2013
    Lemon, butterscotch, apple, strawberry rhubarb.....anything but pumpkin..lol

• Barb Barb on Sep 01, 2013
    I forgot to mention, the other day. Regarding Grandmothers pie plates. I would also put a pretty round doily in it and set it on a table with a plant, or some other special treasures that you might have. You could set them on a mirror , with colored glass items on them

• Judy Willemsen Judy Willemsen on Sep 01, 2013
    Rhubarb! I've found one other person on earth who likes rhubarb pie!

• Therese C Therese C on Sep 02, 2013
      @Judy Willemsen I love, love, love Strawberry/Rhubarb pie!! My mom still makes her crusts with real lard and brings me a S/R pie every summer! I just cannot make them as good as mom, yet she taught me to cook right along side of her for years...lol..maybe it's the love she bakes into everything... :)

• Peggy  Schillings Peggy Schillings on Sep 01, 2013
    THINK OUT SIDE THE BOX!!!!!! Put together as a cake stand, ( 2-3 as a stand, ) cup cake stand, together as bird feeder, bird bath, garden art, spray paint the glass---use with tea-lites for the patio, along with a little sand, can be painted with a stencil and hung on the wall. Write down ideas as you think about them, and then after a certain time---a week, month---- decide on one and go for it!!!!! surprise your self. after its done-----smile to yourself----See- I showed you how its done, and smile reallY BIGGGGGGGGG

• Diana Sue Mendez-Lucio Diana Sue Mendez-Lucio on Sep 01, 2013
    Etch date and names and Give as gifts to a new brides.

• Nancy Hatcher Nancy Hatcher on Sep 02, 2013
    Looks like a lot of you had my idea - bake pies in them ;-}

• Pat Mountfort Pat Mountfort on Sep 02, 2013
    decoupage the back of them with pictures

• Dana Dana on Sep 02, 2013
    Yes, I was thinking decoupage on the back or hand paint something on the back and hang them on the wall as a collection.

• Pat Mountfort Pat Mountfort on Sep 03, 2013
    decoupage a black and white copy of a picture of your grandmother! Or maybe her pie recipe.

• See 2 previous
    • Pat Mountfort Pat Mountfort on Sep 06, 2013
      @Diane Ditzler That sound like something I would love to receive!

• Robert Wright Robert Wright on Sep 03, 2013
    Cut up CD's and glue pieces to the pie pan looks great!

• Barb Barb on Sep 03, 2013
    I love Rhubarb, Best Pie ever ! I even eat it raw......................

• Devon Cretella Devon Cretella on Sep 04, 2013
    There are some wonderful scrapbooking type papers out there. What about decoupaging them on the back side to coordinate with your kitchen or dining area and hanging them on the wall?

• Pat Mountfort Pat Mountfort on Sep 04, 2013
    If you do decoupage them then take Diane's idea and etch your grandmothers name on the edge of the plate what a great gift that would be

• Teresa Church Teresa Church on Oct 25, 2013
    Make candles and put in them, they are great for candles, also, I have used them for pictures, using a plate hanger and putting the picture on the back of the pie plate makes a beautiful and most unusual picture frame. little lace some pearls and a bow you have beautiful decor

• Jamie Jamie on Jan 27, 2014
    I didn't read all the posts but u could Etch them- Make Great personalized gifts- use Dremel etcher OR use Frost spray Paint over chosen stencil!