How do I re-make a basket with good bones?

I have storage cube that came with baskets. The bones are make of wood strips so very solid but the wicker on them is broken and brittle. I want to re-make the sides of the baskets (there are 5... two big and 3 little) and re-use them elsewhere as the cube is no longer good. I want them to be sturdy for storage of items and I do not like the twine or rope as my cat will try to eat string and twine. I like burlap and canvas but how do I inexpensively make the sides sturdy under the burlap? This is my first diy project so need something kinda simple. I am still learning.
  • L Woods L Woods on May 29, 2017
    Years ago, I re-wove a heavily damaged antique basinet using strips of poster board (cut to the same width as the existing wicker)...then, I fortified the poster board strips with elmer's glue before applying numerous layers of paint. It worked well...and was used for several more babies since

• C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on Jun 09, 2017
    Hey...wouldn't foam boarding be sturdier ? It's flexible and you could paint it the color of the basket, use an exacto knife to cut the strips.... I've never done it before myself , but now I want to try.

• Janice Hnat Janice Hnat on Jun 14, 2017
    You can order basket reed online. Try Nor-Esta basket making supplies. Reed comes in many different sizes.