What is this and how can I use it?


It is 9 1/4" tall & 7 1/2" wide. What it is and ideas to upcycle would be appreciated.

q what is it
  20 answers
  • Looks like a wood rack to me. Could use it for a record collection if you have one.

  • Cindy Cindy on Dec 20, 2018

    Hello Cassie I am going to guess that it may have once held a croquet or some kind of game set. The idea I'm thinking of is a shoe rack/umbrella stand. If you measure the diameter of the circle opening you could insert a pvc pipe in the middle. That length or height is up to you as long as it can store a cane or umbrella. For the shoe rack part you if you can fit wood the depth of the rack and fasten them with maybe a small pipe clamp on each of the four legs. Of course the middle of the wood would also have to have a hole to fit the pvc pipe. Depending on the height of this rack you might be able to get two to three shelves. Good Luck CinT

  • Gk Gk on Dec 20, 2018

    You could use it in a bathroom as towel storage. I think it would be cute if you rolled your towels and stacked them like wood!

  • Craft Invaders Craft Invaders on Dec 20, 2018

    You could convert it into a kneeling pad to use in the garden

  • Dee Dee on Dec 20, 2018

    add a few dowel rods and you can use it for a quilt or blanket stand.

  • Mee14388089 Mee14388089 on Dec 20, 2018

    Looks like an item for storing firewood.

  • Imogene Imogene on Dec 20, 2018

    It is only 9 1/4 inches tall and 7 1/2 inches wide. Not big enough for any of the suggestions that I saw.

  • Kc Kc on Dec 20, 2018

    I agree with Imogen. The dimensions make me think that it may have been designed to display a specific set the books. In fact, my Chronicles of Narnia would fit well on this little stand.

  • Debbie Jo Blythe Sears Debbie Jo Blythe Sears on Dec 21, 2018

    Stack firewood, or roll up bath towels for storage

  • Debbie Jo Blythe Sears Debbie Jo Blythe Sears on Dec 21, 2018

    Have couple pieces of glass cut, couch , hall table

  • Cassie Sullivan Cassie Sullivan on Dec 21, 2018

    Your answers are very interesting, but this "thing" is small. Read the dimensions.

  • Gk Gk on Dec 21, 2018

    Use it on your kitchen counter for paper plates.

  • Miss Kitty Miss Kitty on Dec 21, 2018

    It reminds me of a rack to hold music albums ("vinyl").

  • Catherine Deirdre Rodden Catherine Deirdre Rodden on Dec 21, 2018

    Wonder if you could find a fat enough taper candle for the center and have greens with mini pine cones on the outer "walls" and make it into a table centerpiece of some kind?

  • Barbara Barbara on Dec 22, 2018

    It's a holder for firewood you stack the firewood in it and it keeps the firewood in a neat stack.

  • Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 23, 2018

    Could it have been a 'dryer' for mittens perhaps? I'm a bit stumped by the centre circle, but the rack could certainly be placed directly over a floor heating vent and being raised up from the floor would allow air to circulate.

  • Judy Gipson Ross Judy Gipson Ross on Dec 24, 2018

    Roll up wash cloths and set on vanity in bathroom. Use as rack for small bottles of scented oils or 'hotel' size lotions. Put paper napkins through sides.

  • Flipturn Flipturn on Feb 07, 2021

    For anyone not familiar with what a standard croquet set holder looks like, here is an example. It was a good guess, but not quite right.

  • Ginger Ginger on Sep 07, 2021

    It looks like a holder for the glass block sold at Hobby Lobby and used to make a picture display.

  • Gail Gail on Sep 07, 2021

    It look like an old garden kneeling bench but the kneeling pad is missing.