I recently moved to a new place. The rent was somewhat cheap, and the landlords are sweethearts. The place is decent, however, the doors look like they have not been painted since last installed, probably 20 years ago. I asked for permission, once granted- I painted the doors and more.
Door Makover (easy)
Most doors are not that heavy, and even I can lift and remove them quickly.
Standard doors have twin lift hinges; meaning that one is set in the door frame, and the other one, connected to the door, is resting on top of its twin.
By lifting the door, it could be removed.
Then, once the door was placed outside on the table (making sure the handle is resting in the air and no pressure is put on it), I used my eccentric sander to remove the old paint. Around the handle, I used just sandpaper. I started at a low numbered paper and reached 180 at the end. Once I was pleased with the smoothness of the surface, I removed all the dust from the sanding using a cleaning cloth. I used the Clean cham after a wet towel.
Using a wood-patch and a putty knife I filled all marks, holes and scratched the door had. In the beginning, it was frustrating, the number of holes per door. Then, I was trying to figure out what made the holes happen; perhaps kids were playing around the apartment... Each hole could have told a story if it had a mouth.
After I was done with hole-recovery, I let it rest for an hour and a half until it the "glue" was stable and solid. Then, I sanded it again, removing all accessive wood patch and making it smooth again. Then, I wiped out all the dust, and it was ready to be painted!
I tried to use a brush to paint, but it left brush "scratches" on the door, that I did not like. I went and bought a paint sprayer, and added a wee bit thinner to the paint...
The following day, after approximately 15-17 hours, I flipped the door to paint the other side. I let it rest (not visible in the picture is the masking tape on the lock, to prevent paint from ruining it).
Then, I waited with the doors outside, for 24 hours, for the smell to dissolve.
One can of paint was just the right amount for 3 doors.
All set and ready- with a welcome on my home office door.