Curtain rod too small for curtain pockets

I just bought new drapes and curtain rod but the rod is too narrow for the drape pockets causing the gaps to droop. Any ideas?
  5 answers
  • MN Mom MN Mom on Jun 10, 2016
    If you have a sewing machine, you can create a more narrow rod pocket on the curtain panel. Measure from the bottom of the existing pocket up , using the rod as a guide. That's where you sew a straight line parallel to the existing seam. Now you just thread the panel on the rod and you should be good to go.
  • Thought of that but no sewing machine. Thanks
    • MN Mom MN Mom on Jun 10, 2016
      You can purchase curtain rings with clips on them. You'd then just space the clips out along the header of each panel, clip them on and hang your curtains. No sewing required and no cutting holes into your curtain panels.
      comment photo
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 10, 2016
    Assuming you cannot bring the rod back,what if you did small tacks on the top of the drapes to minimize the gap. I am not a sewer but growing up in the curtain field way back when learned some tricks. Maybe it will help
  • Christy Christy on Jun 10, 2016
    if you cant sew take some shower curtain rings or something you like and put a small hole in the spots you need then put it on the rod. just a idea ..
  • Anna M.S. Anna M.S. on Jun 11, 2016
    I'm having trouble picturing what your problem actually is. I wish that you had embedded a picture of the new drapes and curtain rod. MN Mom's idea would work for "curtains" that are gathered onto a narrow diameter curtain rod; I automatically think kitchen sink window curtain panels. Does "too narrow" describe the diameter of the curtain rod or the width (horizontal) of the window? From your question, I can only visualize tab-topped panels with a small diameter rod. If the fabric panels are the correct width for the window, why not tack with a needle and thread a coordinating ribbon between the tabs to go around the rod? You don't have to "tie" the ribbon at the top of the rod, just measure the ribbon/trim so that it is the same length of the tabs and hand sew (tack) the two loose ends on the wrong side of the drape. As I was proof-reading my answer, I had a wild, out-of-the-box solution. If these are tab-top drapes, a very light-weight fishing line might be used instead of ribbon/trim to resolve the droop of the drape. An almost invisible solution.
    • See 4 previous
    • MN Mom MN Mom on Jun 12, 2016
      Thanks for following up on me. Have a nice week.