How do I redo window shutters?

+2
  • Sally Alter Sally Alter on Oct 31, 2018

Nikki, do you want to paint them? I should think that it is very time consuming to paint them with a briush, and may well leave some horrid drips because of the many slats. I would take off the shutters and spray paint them using Kryon or some other spray paint. Do a couple of very light coats. You would need to remove the hinges and either spray paint those as well or buy new hinges. Beware, I just spray painted my hinges and ended up ordering new ones as the paint was too thick to allow my cabinet doors to close. Don't forget to lay the shutters down on a lot of newspaper or a wide spread of plastic sheeting so that you don't spray everything else around them.

Oooops! I meant Krylon spray paint.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Oct 31, 2018

What kind of material are they made out of? Are they interior shutters?

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Oct 31, 2018

If they need repair, you'll have to work the rails apart , fix rails and glue with exterior glue, clamp and repaint. Prime with oil based primer and paint with 2 coats of exterior latex paint.

• Tere Tere on Nov 01, 2018

I took mine down, painted them with 2 coats exterior gloss house paint then rehung them. They've been up 10 years & still looking good :)