I was looking for a way to give an updated look to my terra cotta flower pots that would be easy and cheap. You will need: Flower pots, 3 colors of spray paint and white paint, shallow tub, gloves, and a stick or two. Here is how the project turned out.
I love the look of copper in the garden-so much so that I have made a few different pieces for my garden and also a rain chain. I like to use copper tubing because it is flexible and I can manipulate it any way that I want. The added bonus is that it is beautiful and elegant.
I created this recently from a roll of copper tubing, some concrete and an old nursery pot:
Have you seen the $5 bucket stool? It is ingenious! Well, I decided to make one of my own but with my own twist since I like creating things with what I happen to have on hand. In fact, the $5 bucket stool probably cost me less than $2 in supplies. Not only is it cheap-it is easy as pie to make! So here is how I did it.
Denial-that is what I am in every time I plant a Hosta. I know it is going to grow and get big I just don't believe it at the time. This is probably because I usually purchase bare root Hosta from online retailers and they usually have only a few leaves and 1 or 2 eyes (eyes are what growers call a Hosta division). They seem so small that when I go to plant them I lose all sense and end up putting them where I will eventually have to move them.
I set out this week to find a way to create some Fall pumpkin decorations after seeing all of the great ideas on Hometalk and Pinterest. I especially liked the look of the canning lid pumpkin but the price for them is a little steep-I like FREE. So I looked around the house and found a couple of things that I could use but I especially liked the thought of using my roll of garden twine I have had forever (literally). So I experimented with a couple of ways and finally got the look I wanted and it was so easy you won't believe it! I didn't have to use glue or wire-it is all twine except for the stem. Here is one of the final pumpkins:
It is that time of year again-time to bring in all the houseplants If you are like me you have had your houseplants outside adorning your deck and front door area giving them a little vacation from being cooped up inside. Unfortunately it is starting to get cooler and that means I have to start bringing them in before the nighttime temperatures get below 45-50 degrees. Before I bring them in there are some steps I take to ensure I don't also bring in hitchhikers. Not only can I bring in spider mites and aphids there is also the fear of other creepy crawlies like millipedes and spiders that I really don't want in the house. These steps I take help to keep the bugs to a minimum and I don't need to use pesticides to do it.
Step 1: Give the plant a "bath"! I take a large tote and fill it with water and add a few squirts of Dawn dishsoap and a handful of Epsom salts. I then sink the potted plant into the "bath" for 15-30 minutes to force out any bugs that might be making the plant home.
There are two types of gardeners in the world: clumpers and splitters. I admit it-I am a clumper. I cringe at the idea of cutting my babies up into pieces. I would rather leave them alone so they can get big. Wait, not big-huge. I want huge Hostas. Digging them up and dividing them can set them back and, to be honest, I do not like doing that because it takes some varieties forever to reach a good size. A solution I came up with is minimally invasive, and it does not set my Hosta back like digging up the entire clump does. This is perfect if you want to share a small piece or if you need a few eyes for a project. You can take off more than I have shown, I just prefer to keep it to a minimum. Just a note: I do this in Spring before the Hostas leaf out so I can see what I am doing, but you can do it at any time of year.
Every Fall my pine trees gift me with a large amount of pine cones and every year I bag them up and take them to the city compost. Not this year. This year my goal was to use at least some of those pine cones. I did do a few other projects put it didn't put a dent in the piles I have so I decided to try and make a wreath. Of course, I had to do it on the cheap so I used chicken wire instead of a wire wreath form (which would have worked nicely for this). Here is a picture of the end project: