How to replace handle on a faucet?

by Gin9295315
I have a faucet on the side of my house that has never been used, handle has been broken ...would it be a major job to fix it and what if the water pipe is not there. someone said you would have to cut into the wall

  4 answers
  • DesertRose DesertRose on Jun 20, 2018
    We fixed ours with a new one from a home improvement store. They are fairly easy to replace, but you need to shut off the water to it before you begin work. We had to shut off our house water for ten or twenty minutes.

  • Dfm Dfm on Jun 20, 2018
    its not a hard fix. if this old broad can do it, you can. most out door faucets screw in to place. shut off the water to the house. the hardest part is getting the old off. once you get it off, use pipe tape on the faucet threads. it makes it easier to to seal the faucet from leaking, screw the new faucet on to the pipe. most water pipes are a standard size. turn water back on, check for leaks. if leaking -more pipe tape, the tape is a silicone product and has some stretch to it. for the step by step check out wiki how or instructables. if you have a basement you can follow the piping back to the water supply line. if you dont have the supply line...a certified plumber needs to install one for you.

    my currant house has a water softener that sends water to all the taps. not good for watering my plants i board over winter. my town plumber installed a tap that connected to the out side faucet piping so i could water my plants.

  • Janice Janice on Jun 20, 2018
    Likely there's a water pipe to the faucet. I suggest looking at the link below before you do anything else. It will make you familiar with what probably needs to be done, then you can get the necessary handle, tools, etc. and get it repaired either yourself or by hiring a knowledgeable person. Good Luck!

  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Jun 20, 2018
    It all depends on how the outside faucet is attached to the inner water line. Sometimes there is a coupling and sometimes it is soldered. You need someone with expertise to look at this problem for you. There should be a shut off valve for the water just inside the house wall. Before you do anything make sure the water is off.