Dresser Makeover Using Fabric And Mod Podge
Not long after we moved into our new home, I found this empire dresser for sale at a garage sale in our neighborhood. This piece was in need of a lot of TLC. There was a laundry list of things wrong with this dresser; there was no back, the veneer was peeling or missing, it was missing part of the front leg and t was gouged and scratched. I had to build a leg for the front of this piece, which was a first for me, but I think it turned out great!
I started working on removing the veneer from the two drawers where the damage was the worst, but nothing I did got rid of this stubborn stuff. After sanding for a very long time, I was able to remove the veneer from one drawer, but decided it was best to find another solution or this was going to take me weeks (there are 6 drawers).
This is a few of the many things that were wrong with the dresser. I'm still pretty excited about my new front leg I made from glueing 2 scrap pieces of lumber together! I was able to cut the leg down using a miter saw, then sanded it into the shape I needed.
I decided to try something new and cover the drawers with fabric. I adhered the fabric to the drawers using Mod Podge. It was easy and I love how it looks in my new office!
For the top, I used a new to me paint called Blackberry House Paint in Iron Skillet. I added new drawer hardware from Hobby Lobby and it was done.
I painted the rest of the piece in Chalk Paint™ by Annie Sloan in mix of Old White and Pure White.
Here's my new leg!
I love the new drawer hardware from Hobby Lobby!!