Bombe Nightstands

Christopher Giles
by Christopher Giles
3 Days
Bombe night stand transformation.
These were a score, $20 for the pair. They were in awful shape though. It's hard to tell from the picture but the right one is missing a chunk out of the side and a piece of the left one was broken off and is sitting on the top.
The top of each one has a particle board section in the middle. Both tips were severely water damaged.
I chiseled out the damaged particle board to make space for a new top!
My friends at Lowe's cut new tops to the measurements I gave them. There was a lot more repair work to be done!
I used Quikwood to rebuild the pice that was missing from the front and used wood glue to re attach the broken piece from the top. The piece was so rough with repairs everywhere that staining wasn't an option.
After priming it I painted it out with some left over paint I had in the garage. It looked great, but felt like it was missing something...
So I decided to add a stencil to it.
After it was all stenciled out I wanted to highlight all of the details by adding an antiquing wax.
I love how they turned out. A major change from the shape they were in.
Frequently asked questions
Have a question about this project?
3 of 10 questions
  • Sue Chandler Sue Chandler on Jul 02, 2016
    What type of paint did you use & the colours, please. The cabinets are just gorgeous

  • Joan Joan on Jul 02, 2016
    Where can I buy stencils?

  • Joy9264862 Joy9264862 on Aug 08, 2016
    These are beautiful! Did you use latex paint over the oil base primer? What kind of protective sealant did you use after it was finished?

Join the conversation
2 of 169 comments
  • Susan S Susan S on Mar 17, 2017
    This is a beautiful finish to a rather shaking beginning. I love what Christopher created with his "find"! I would like to add my saga: I didn't have a lot of money to transform a nasty old commercial bathroom. I set about looking for 2 bomber chests to add movement. As much as I despise ruining 2 handmade chests, I had to remove the drawers and secure the fronts to the chests. I painted antique red finish. After the red paint dried I added gold leaf (not real gold!). I laminated a red (background and gold (figures) toile fabric on the drawer fronts and sides. Then I painted a clear coat on all exposed and gold leafed wood. The final application was a couple of clear coats so the chests would be water resistant because the public would be using the sinks that were drop-in over the tile finish. I decorated the chests many years ago and they continue to gather compliments. Please don't ask me the products I used, I can't remember what I had for breakfast!

    p.s. I found 2 mirrors set in wide frames. I covered the frames with the same toile and put a clear coat on the frames. I needed a full length mirror (you know how we women have to look like before we go out). I bought inexpensive full length mirror.
    l painted enough lengths of 1/2 round with the antique red, then cut to use as the frame. With the mirror hung and the frames fixed on the wall all was and still is good! I had never done this before on such a scale.

    Christopher, if you are on your way to Houston, stop in and see our handiwork at Columbus RV Park, exit 696, south of I-10 on right about 500 yards south. Just give us a call. And, again, thank you for sharing your creative ideas! There are so many stencils to choose from.

  • Mrs P Mrs P on Jul 02, 2017
    Beautiful done !